Let's all drink to the death of a clown....

Discussion about miscellaneous topics not covered by other forums
macliam

Let's all drink to the death of a clown....

Post by macliam » Wed Dec 15 2021 11:10pm

Today the death was announced of Geoffrey Rowe, better known as Jethro, the Cornish comedian. He was 73 and died of complications arising from Covid-19.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cornwall-59666409
Although he veered to "the dark side" with some very blue material, he was a genuinely funny guy. I met him in Dorset some years ago (and had no idea who he was at the time) - he was just one of those people who made you crack up with every second sentence he said. I never forgot that chance meeting!
Unfortunately, and although I've seen nothing to confirm it, I think he was suffering from early onset dementia too, because he announced his retuirement after 50 years in 2020, telling the BBC that he was having difficulties remembering his jokes. "My memory is not too good, and sometimes I get in a theatre full of people and they are all laughing, and they are going to stop in a minute, and there's nothing in my head - that isn't much of a place to be". Indeed. A sad end for a man who relied on his wits for a living.

For anyone who hasn't heard him, I found this on TouTube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kcqFaWYVEZ4

Cusk yn cres, Jethro. Rest in peace.
Thanked by: blythburgh
Just because I'm paranoid, it doesn't mean they're not out to get me

blythburgh

Re: Let's all drink to the death of a clown....

Post by blythburgh » Thu Dec 16 2021 9:48am

Such sad news but if he did have the early stages of dementia then it is perhaps a blessing for him and his loved ones
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler

macliam

Re: Let's all drink to the death of a clown....

Post by macliam » Thu Dec 16 2021 8:14pm

I heard a brilliant comment on Jethro's passing today - one the man hisself woul have appreciated....

I ear ol' Jeffro passed on - thass a shame.
Specially since 'e were 'noculated.
Mine dew, that there were a rum ole do....
'E went fur 'is jab, then a nurse said "small prick" and 'e stomped off in a paddy!!

He would have told it better.....
Thanked by: blythburgh
Just because I'm paranoid, it doesn't mean they're not out to get me