Have online forums had their day?

Discussion about miscellaneous topics not covered by other forums
macliam

Have online forums had their day?

Post by macliam » Sun Jan 02 2022 11:58am

I don't "do" the usual social media, I never have.

But I have taken part in a few forums on sites that are not predominantly "social".

In recent months, one has died along with its host site, one has been closed, this one has become a pale shadow of its former self and the last now appears to be tearing itself to shreds over claims of bullying, etc.

So, as topic, has online opinion sharing ecome so toxic that it's day has run?

Let's look at ourselves..... major events happen without comment, or, if posted, get no dicussion and seemingly little interest. I know we miss kev's input, but was this never more than a one-man show?

I really don't want to live in a world whre people seem compelled to post about what they had for breakfast whilst the "big issues" of the day go undiscussed.

2022 hasn't started well.
Thanked by: xrppzi, blythburgh
Just because I'm paranoid, it doesn't mean they're not out to get me

Richard Frost

Re: Have online forums had their day?

Post by Richard Frost » Sun Jan 02 2022 12:43pm

I have been a frequent poster here for many years. Largely stopped of late, Mainly for similar reasons as outlined above, I do not do "Social Media" it has never appealed and still does not. I find that the people on this site and a couple of other sites I post on have become in the main very selfish. You only have to read the finance forum on this site to see some prime examples. Many people do not use the thanks facility, which in my view is another example. It would appear that the majority are so wrapped up in themselves and their lives that they have very little time or inclination to share with others. The owner of this site has no real interest or if he does no longer shows it. I think in the main I am just tired of the disinterest and would rather channel any energy I do have in other directions. I predict that the previous post and this will have very little comment and the little that is generated will be from the very few that regularly post. In short the site will continue to meander its merry little way. But I see nothing in the future to commend to anyone or incentivise myself to resume my previous level of posting. I think there is a place for "online opinion sharing" but feel that the majority do not share my view. so rather than foist myself on the disinterested. I have mainly withdrawn. There used to be some feisty discussions here. There is now a total lack of dissension. That has helped this site become very anodyne.
Thanked by: blythburgh

Beachboy

Post by Beachboy » Mon Jan 03 2022 12:15am

I think forums have a place, but there are always going to be limitations on usage based on time, interest and other competing methods of communication (e.g. if social media platforms expand and provide a more convenient or better means of communicating on a particular subject).

I know from my perspective that after working all day staring at a screen I am not particularly inclined to then spend significant parts of my spare time also typing and staring at a screen. Therefore it depends on a whole host of factors as to whether I engage in particular topics and not necessarily through complete lack of interest.

macliam

Post by macliam » Mon Jan 03 2022 10:09am

I accept what you say, however that is you - it does not explain others.

Use it or lose it people.

blythburgh

Post by blythburgh » Mon Jan 03 2022 10:36am

People will be violently attacked if they express the "wrong" opinion and every opinion is wrong in the eyes of some. Only words I know but can have quite an affect on people. So we are not expressing our opinions online or in person apparently. I know I seethe inside at remarks from my sister in law but keep my mouth shut.
Thanked by: Beachboy
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler

planteria

Post by planteria » Mon Jan 03 2022 10:59am

intersting thoughts macliam, and to an extent echo some of the comments i've made in the finance forum in the past few days. there're things happening that in days gone by would have generated some interest here/previous incarnations of this community.

i am on social media but don't tend to get into a lot of discussion re topics in the news etc, it's more just to keep in touch with people. to be more specific i use facebook, and have a twitter account but hardly use that. my impression would be that forums have been replaced by twitter communities, and also reddit.. the GameStop activities in recent months, which some here may be aware of, revealed how active things were there, at least to me.

i like forums as i visit them for particular topics.. for me mostly personal finance here, but i'm on a couple of niche wristwatch forums, which are relatively active in fairness. i used to look at and contribute to a football forum but that has gone quiet, and most of the contributors comment as themselves on facebook rather than via pseudenyms on the forum. things have just evolved, i suppose.

i'm not sure how much RF's comments are a dig at me personally, but i was asked way back to keep that part of this forum as active as possible and i've endeavoured so to do. inevitably have posted re things that i become aware of so there's bound to be some personal bias in the content when there're very few other regular contributors to that section of the forum. someone did send me a message some time back telling me 'all you care about is money' :mrgreen:

fwiw i would really love to see this site continue and be successful.
Thanked by: blythburgh, Beachboy

blythburgh

Post by blythburgh » Mon Jan 03 2022 5:14pm

I think the trouble is in some place macliam admitting he was a) Irish by birth or b) married to a Portuguese lady would bring forth a torrent of abuse.

Come to that my word "lady" would do so as all. I should say woman or maybe even a person who menstrates to please some people. But as I have no reason to believe otherwise I will continue to call Mrs macliam "a lady" as I am sure she is one
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler

macliam

Post by macliam » Tue Jan 04 2022 2:15am

blythburgh wrote:
Mon Jan 03 2022 5:14pm
I think the trouble is in some place macliam admitting he was a) Irish by birth or b) married to a Portuguese lady would bring forth a torrent of abuse.

Come to that my word "lady" would do so as all. I should say woman or maybe even a person who menstrates to please some people. But as I have no reason to believe otherwise I will continue to call Mrs macliam "a lady" as I am sure she is one
Ah, come now bb, I think you know in your heart that I'd never hide mine under a bushel. As one who has, literally (and unwillingly), kissed the Blarney Stone and am therefore, as the Portuguese charmingly put it, able to talk from my elbow, no bigot online or up close could shut me down. No snowflake here.

Suckled at the same teat as Richard Harris and Terry Wogan (although, unlike the latter remembering my roots.... I blame the Dublin influence) and also being a neighbour of our current Uachtarán na hÉireann, I'd never have survived Stab City, had I been so delicate!

As for SWMBO, your comment reminds me of a dispute she had with a past neighbour over boundaries. The guy was obviously a bit knocked back by being confronted by a woman, and a foreign woman at that, and actually started to utter the phrase "You may be a lady in your country, but over here....". He is still in traction.......

I love the forums and my criticism is from sadness. I miss past colleagues, celebrate those present and hope for more in the future........... but the crystal seems pretty dark just now.

pieman

Post by pieman » Tue Jan 04 2022 9:28am

Lots of interesting points from the above posts.

Like some others, I don't tend to use Facebook - though I do belong to certain groups on there mainly linked to work, and just skim through what others are doing.

I use the same approach here - a general skim every couple of days and only reading and commenting on things I am interested in.

Obviously things are a bit quieter as Kev Chess is no longer with us, especially as he was very good at often being deliberately provocative / playing devils advocate to stir up debate, but I still enjoy being (a very small) part of the Investment Club and participating in the competitions, and will contribute to other threads if it seems appropriate.

I would certainly miss the forum if it was no longer here, though it is not the main reason why I visit here. As the ability to earn cashback has, understandably, diminished over the past two years, it means there is less incentive to come to imutual overall. Hopefully as more cashback opportunities return to the site, more people will return to the forum etc
Thanked by: blythburgh, Beachboy

planteria

Post by planteria » Tue Jan 04 2022 10:41am

fwiw i haven't seen any issues raised with anyone's background or choice of partner, but i suppose it doesn't relate to personal finance which tends to be the little section i check in on.