A bad day for privilege?

Discussion about miscellaneous topics not covered by other forums
macliam

A bad day for privilege?

Post by macliam » Wed Jan 12 2022 8:17pm

So, aside from Johnson having to apologise (again) in the time-honoured non-apology format and admitting that he had (mistakenly?) broken the law, we also have the Queen's second son losing his attempt to wriggle out of a problem of his own making........
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-59871514

Unfortunately, his high-priced lawyers (at our expense) failed to make the "Baby Grumpling" realise that by trying to use a technicality to avoid having to answer questions, he has weakened his own case (as one must presume that there is a case to answer) and lost himself even more support from the British public who have bankrolled his lifestyle since he first drew breath.

It seems he may now have to explain why he can't sweat (as opposed to not sweating, which wouldn't be difficult for someone who has never done a day's real work).... and he might, actually have to accept that his privilege does not mean he is not held to account like the "common people".

Given his performances so far, I don't think he'll have too much luck trying to appeal to the public.
Thanked by: blythburgh
Just because I'm paranoid, it doesn't mean they're not out to get me

Sarah

Re: A bad day for privilege?

Post by Sarah » Thu Jan 13 2022 6:41pm

His military titles and use of HRH are gone today.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-59987935

He has no easy options now. I won't be at all surprised if an out-of-court settlement is the chosen way forward. Perhaps the negotiations are already underway. I wonder if we'll ever learn how many zeros are on the cheque?

Richard Frost

Post by Richard Frost » Fri Jan 14 2022 12:18am

macliam wrote:
Wed Jan 12 2022 8:17pm

Unfortunately, his high-priced lawyers (at our expense) failed to make the "Baby Grumpling" realise that by trying to use a technicality to avoid having to answer questions, he has weakened his own case (as one must presume that there is a case to answer) and lost himself even more support from the British public who have bankrolled his lifestyle since he first drew breath.
Andrew Windsor receives no money from the public purse (Civil List) the Queen is independently wealthy and may/may not be giving him an allowance. He is believed to get a £20,000 pension from the Navy, In 2007, he sold the home he had shared with his ex-wife Sarah Ferguson, Sunninghill Park, for £14.4 million. The couple were given the property as a wedding present from the Queen, after tying the knot in 1986,

He has been looking for a buyer for his luxury £17 million Swiss chalet and It is thought the cash he makes by selling the property, will go into funding his defence or, potentially, help settle with Giuffre.

in 2021, he was seen attending Prince Philip's funeral in a new £220,000 Flying Spur Bentley, which he had resprayed in racing green.

Reports claim that Andrew Windsor has an estimated personal fortune valued at around £32.5 million.

Recent reports suggest that he will be fighting the case as a private citizen. That suggests that he will use his own money in order to do it. It would appear that he can well afford to do so. Of course what the Queen gifts to him as a mother (if anything) will be a private matter between them. Although given her age, inheritance tax may come into play if she pops her clogs anytime soon.

macliam

Post by macliam » Fri Jan 14 2022 10:55am

Ummmm.... "independently wealthy" is a moot point - all the wealth of the royal family is derived from assets obtained by someone "above the law". Your use of "Andrew Windsor" is also incorrect, as he remains "Prince Andrew", "Duke of York", "Earl of Inverness" and "Baron Killyleagh" - the latter being created especially for him, to establish a new title in NI in the face of the loss of hereditary Irish titles (which persisted long after Irish independence). So hardly a "common man". Can you explain to me how it is that the thief's son is tarred by the same brush if he inherits his father's money, yet these people live in some fantasy world where the source of their income is not to be questioned? So much smoke, so many mirrors.

My comment comes from reports that this first defence was funded by the Queen and whilst he is reported to be disposing of assets, this is nothing new as he has been disposing of such "assets" since he was stopped from exploiting his position for gain and became unable to support his bloated, privileged lifestyle from the money received from official sources. His entitlement to such assets is as false as the Admiral's uniform he wore to his father's funeral (he was made a Vice-Admiral on his 55th birthday, but interestingly chose to promote himsef above "vice"!).

One problem with this case is that, even if the core accusation were to be unproven, holding his lifestyle up to the light will damage the position of the royal family, because there is plenty of other dirt to be exposed - largely because he considers himself to be above question. It couldn't happen to a nicer bloke..... The other problem is that if the case is proven - and/or he is "ruined" in his attempts to avoid justice, he will still live in his privileged world, just like many of his predecessors. A convenient road crash is in order........

Richard Frost

Post by Richard Frost » Fri Jan 14 2022 11:15am

My use of the term Andrew Windsor was meant to be light hearted. I am sorry that you were not able to see that. My point was about his court case being funded (at our expense). The latest reports seem to indicate that the Queen is most likely funding his defence. There is no proof or indication so far that that money is coming from the public purse, regardless of the historical routes of the Royal Family's income/wealth. Reportedly it would be considered (beyond the pale) for the Queen to fund an "out of court settlement" which is why he Prince Andrew is building a "War Chest" to settle if that's the way it goes.

Personally I do not care less whether he wins or loses or whether he is guilty or not. I do not think the Royal Family have a place in todays society and are largely irrelevant. Although it is clear in my mind the Queen has largely been an honourable and loyal monarch. Their roles are mostly "Smoke and bells" To those who say that royalty brings in tourists and income to the country. I would suggest that the Palaces could be turned into museums and/or hotels they would bring in just as much money into the country as they do now. History also attract tourists in their droves. Royalty in my opinion costs a fortune and is a high price to pay in this day and age. It is also archaic and out of place in todays world.

macliam

Post by macliam » Fri Jan 14 2022 12:15pm

Unfortunately, it is difficult to express irony in the written word, particularly in this age of "alternative truth". I have no ill will towards the monarch, but as a republican I find her position unacceptable - and that of the "hangers on" (though much reduced) even more so.

The British monarchy is a peculiarly British invention, allowing a veneer of democracy to coat royal privilege. Other monarchs are now indeed figureheads, yet the British monarch retains certain political powers and the crown ministers derive powers from this privilege which are not subject to parliamentary oversight. The Queen could retain her "tourism" attraction without the need for such trappings as the retained powers to create new peers, to assign new titles, etc., etc. - and there is no need for the vast estates available both as living space and to grant as "grace and favour" accommodation. It is time for root and branch reform both of these retained powers and the financial assets of the various royals.

I do object to the "smoke and mirrors" about public funding - as the moneys given to the Queen are supposedly to fund her expenses, yet she appears to be able to finance huge expenditure without the need for such payment. In the case of her sons, all but the direct heir are "also rans".... yet they retain privilege and rank due only to their birth. Whilst Bill Gates children will undoubtedly inherit vast fortunes, they will not be "entitled" to use his achievements to enrich themselves nor supported from the public purse in doing so - if, like the subject of this discussion, they choose to do nothing worthwhile and to live beyond their means, their own children will have no such privilege and will have to support themselves.

blythburgh

Post by blythburgh » Sat Jan 15 2022 8:51am

I am a monarchist but not blind. Andrew Mountbatten Windsor has long been the unacceptable face of the Monarchy. And I cannot be more happy that the Queen and he have "come to the agreement" to stop using HRH etc. I think he was told this is a fact and you have to accept it and he was not happy. The man who wants the same sort of wedding for his daughter as Prince Harry as they are the only real Princesses. And he is right, the Queen Mother, Diana, Princess of Wales, Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge etc were or are only Princesses by marriage. Andrew's daughters are Princesses by birth but then technically so is Prince Edward's daughter. He and his wife chose not to use the title Prince and Princess for their children although they could have done. Princess Anne and her then husband chose to have no titles for their children by not accepting any titles for Mark Phillips when they married. Some members of the Royal Family know how to behave. He may not be happy but I certainly am. Just feel sorry for anyone employed by Mr Mountbatten Windsor
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler

macliam

Post by macliam » Sat Jan 15 2022 12:49pm

blythburgh

Post by blythburgh » Mon Jan 17 2022 10:36am

According to some reports Andrew Mountbatten Windsor cried when the Queen told him of her plans. Sorrow? Doubtful more like temper tantrum tears if he did indeed cry
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler

macliam

Post by macliam » Mon Jan 17 2022 3:19pm

I'm sure he cried...... how dare the plebs cause him so much angst!