O2 Classic PAYG SIM on ebay

Money, investing, mutuals etc
macliam

O2 Classic PAYG SIM on ebay

Post by macliam » Thu Mar 31 2022 5:13pm

First off, a big shout out to Sarah for advice on the Chase UK thread
Sarah wrote:
Tue Mar 29 2022 2:23pm
You could do worse than try to pickup an O2 "Classic 123" SIM card for 20p on ebay, before they become completely extinct. Stick it in a basic old mobile phone and then remain connected to the service for the purpose of incoming TXT and calls, potentially paying no more than £10 (top-up) every 6 months.
I used 3, on their 1-2-3 PAYG tariff, but SWMBO was on Giffgaff...... first Giffgaff put up their rates to eye-watering levels and I tried to get her an O2 PAYG account, but missed out. :(

Then 3 announced a huge across the board rise in their PAYG rates whilst I was in Portugal. Then they also stopped providing an "over WiFi" access app, which allowed me to overcome the poor reception at home in the UK. Then (gun pointed firmly at foot) they announced roaming charges (which would impact me in Portugal). So, altogether not good...... I looked around and found 1p mobile, which, as suggested, charges 1p for a call, a text or data and uses the EE network. This has been all good.... apart from the roaming.

So, after Sarah's post, I checked out the O2 SIMS on ebay - because O2 is NOT imposing roaming charges. Whilst not quite 20p, I found one vendor selling 2 sims for 99p post free! So I bought them on Monday and they arrived today.... with a registration date limit of 1st Feb 2023. I've now topped up (not easy, the online service crashes), so I have a cheapish backup for the future. Good for anyone taking a holiday in Europe and not on O2 :eh:

In the UK, the 1p mobile still trumps this O2 PAYG, but for roaming, maybe not..... Once I've used my 3 credit it'll be bye-bye to them, I'm afraid.
Just because I'm paranoid, it doesn't mean they're not out to get me

Sarah

Re: O2 Classic PAYG SIM on ebay

Post by Sarah » Thu Mar 31 2022 5:46pm

Here's a link to the 20p seller that I used (the list price is 99p however they automatically give an 80% discount at checkout):
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/323873641211

The SIM cards that I received need to be activated before November 2022. I switched my personal PAYG mobile to this tariff because Virgin Mobile PAYG cancelled my service with them after 21 years; the (legacy) Virgin Mobile PAYG tariff is being withdrawn for all remaining customers. This O2 tariff seemed to be the next best that still exists, although please be aware O2 have owned Virgin Mobile since the middle of last year and might likewise phase this O2 tariff out when it suits them to do so. It's another legacy tariff, that O2 don't offer directly anymore.

If available in your country, don't forget to register for 10% bonus on top-ups with O2 Rewards and perks with O2 Priority!
Thanked by: macliam

macliam

Re: O2 Classic PAYG SIM on ebay

Post by macliam » Fri Apr 01 2022 4:51pm

I'm not objecting to paying 99p for two SIMS with fast delivery!

Happy so far, but obviously O2 can alter their pricing as 3 did..... if so, we'll have to deal with that then.

For the time being, I guess we're OK - and it would seem odd for O2 to change the tariff whilst there are still unregistered SIMS offering the 3-2-1 pricing until 2023. :eh:
Just because I'm paranoid, it doesn't mean they're not out to get me