Wakefield

Topical debate, moral dilemmas and quirky questions. Join fellow shareholders in civilised discussions of issues of interest
Sarah

Wakefield

Post by Sarah » Thu Apr 14 2022 5:49pm

A Conservative MP found guilty of sexually assaulting a 15-year-old boy has announced he is resigning from the Commons.

Imran Ahmad Khan, who has represented Wakefield since 2019, said he was appealing against the conviction.

But he added it was "intolerable" for his constituents not to be represented properly while he goes to the courts.

The decision will trigger a by-election for his seat, which had previously been held by Labour for 87 years.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-61113265

Labour starts as the favourite to regain this 'Red Wall' seat and would have no excuses for falling short.
Thanked by: Richard Frost, blythburgh

Richard Frost

Re: Wakefield

Post by Richard Frost » Thu Apr 14 2022 6:03pm

It will be interesting for sure, With all the mire surrounding the Tory leadership you are right, There will be no excuses for Labour if they lose.
Thanked by: blythburgh

macliam

Post by macliam » Thu Apr 14 2022 8:26pm

Presumably the next plank in the Tory plan is that anyone voting Labour may be shipped of to Rwanda.

I recall the Tory borough of Westminster shipped all its homeless off to East London for a similar reason......
Just because I'm paranoid, it doesn't mean they're not out to get me

Richard Frost

Post by Richard Frost » Thu Apr 14 2022 9:53pm

London boroughs have been shipping their homeless into Kent for years. Brighton is currently sending them to Hastings. Here in Eastbourne we have a couple of hotels full of asylum seekers. Soon to be relocated to the site of an old army barracks on the North Yorkshire Moors. Once they have built the new asylum detention centre. (Approx. 600 a day are currently arriving from France,) will not take long to populate that. Then where? Back to hotels presumably. The aim of building the new facility is to save money on hotel costs supposedly.

Apparently anyone arriving since the beginning of the year will be eligible for transfer to Rwanda. They have yet to get it through parliament/courts etc. (MP, Andrew Griffith The governments policy spokesman, on Newsnight just said he thought they could start sending within weeks as he felt they law as it is currently would allow it). What a bunch of wan***s our elected officials are. This whole policy I predict is gonna lead to trouble and plenty of heartache for all. I also predict that it will have no effect on those crossing the channel. Who will continue to chance their luck. They have nothing to lose.
Thanked by: blythburgh

pabenny

Post by pabenny » Fri Apr 15 2022 8:36am

The migrants-to-Rwanda policy is a masterstroke of politics:

- coverage (both favourable and unfavourable) takes awkward stories such as the cost of living crisis, NHS waiting lists, partygate down the news agenda

- the liberals will be distracted by righteous indignation

- those on the right will be energised (a) a policy they like and (b) opposing the opponents of this policy

- wavering Tory voters will be reminded of why the voted for them in the first place and distracted from all the Tory failures (see first point).

(to be clear, I'm not supporting or approving of the policy).
Thanked by: Chadwick, blythburgh

Sarah

Post by Sarah » Tue May 17 2022 1:43pm

Wakefield By-Election and Tiverton By-Election expected to be held on 23rd June 2022.
https://twitter.com/ElectionMapsUK/stat ... phwnLxaVAw
Thanked by: Richard Frost, blythburgh

blythburgh

Post by blythburgh » Wed May 18 2022 8:23am

The biggest threat to Labour is brexit lies. Starmer was a remainer, if they get in power he will take us back into the EU and you will lose your human rights.

You know the human rights to go to the polling station without proof of who you are so you have to go back home to get it. All in the name of stopping electoral fraud. But we go into the polling booth and nobody can see where we put our cross. Do a postal vote and anyone can be looking over our shoulder making sure we vote "the right way". In some cases I wonder if one person in a household will get the voter to sign and then fill in the form for them. How does proof of who we are prevent the biggest cause of voter fraud? And just how big a problem is voter fraud? I suspect it is so small it does not affect results. But never mind the Tory voter is not going to be the one who a) does not bring proof or b) cannot be bothered to go back home to get it
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler

expressman33

Post by expressman33 » Thu May 19 2022 12:07pm

blythburgh wrote:
Wed May 18 2022 8:23am
The biggest threat to Labour is brexit lies. Starmer was a remainer, if they get in power he will take us back into the EU and you will lose your human rights.

You know the human rights to go to the polling station without proof of who you are so you have to go back home to get it. All in the name of stopping electoral fraud. But we go into the polling booth and nobody can see where we put our cross. Do a postal vote and anyone can be looking over our shoulder making sure we vote "the right way". In some cases I wonder if one person in a household will get the voter to sign and then fill in the form for them. How does proof of who we are prevent the biggest cause of voter fraud? And just how big a problem is voter fraud? I suspect it is so small it does not affect results. But never mind the Tory voter is not going to be the one who a) does not bring proof or b) cannot be bothered to go back home to get it
Have you woken up fully ?

blythburgh

Post by blythburgh » Sat May 21 2022 8:06am

expressman33 wrote:
Thu May 19 2022 12:07pm
blythburgh wrote:
Wed May 18 2022 8:23am

Have you woken up fully ?
I never slept walked into voting Leave. Sadly too many did and are still in a dream where Brexit is good for the country instead of the reverse.
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler

blythburgh

Post by blythburgh » Sat May 21 2022 8:11am

I once gave a lift back home to an elderly lady who probably voted Tory. She lived in a warden controlled block of flats. She managed the walk down to the polling station but felt the walk up hill would be too much for her.

Her reason for not having a postal vote was because the Warden was an active member of the Labour Party and she stood over the people "to make sure they filled the form in correctly". And was still looking over their shoulder when they voted. Electoral fraud IMHO as she should not be there when they a) filled in voting slip and b) put it in the sealed envelope