The End Of UK Democracy

Topical debate, moral dilemmas and quirky questions. Join fellow shareholders in civilised discussions of issues of interest
blythburgh

Re: The End Of UK Democracy

Post by blythburgh » Fri Jan 21 2022 10:39am

She posted today: the word party has created such a storm taking away all the good work, sad...

And then there are the allegations that Johnson was writing his book about Shakespeare when Covid started and stated that it was not a serious thing. Despite knowing what had already happened in parts of Europe.

Can we believe the word of Cummings? Who knows but one thing is sure for two weeks he was not seen in public apart from PMQ's and failed to visit the scene of severe flooding. A place you would expect the PM to go to see the damage, commiserate with those affected and thank those who were working so hard to help.
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler

macliam

Post by macliam » Fri Jan 21 2022 12:49pm

This subject is dragging the troglodites of the Tory party into the light, those who would support a monkey in a blue rosette. It is truly painful for them to accept that Johnson is more than a "character" or that their party would ever do wrong..... so they are in denial. When not in denial, they attempt to divert the argument - "Look how well the booster rollout is going".

Juvenal knew all about the distractions that governments use when he said "the mob that used to grant power, high office, the legions, everything, curtails its desires, and anxiously hopes for two things only: Bread and circuses."
Thanked by: blythburgh
Just because I'm paranoid, it doesn't mean they're not out to get me

Sarah

Post by Sarah » Thu Apr 14 2022 3:36pm

Johnson having this week become the first sitting Prime Minister (et al) to receive criminal sanctions for breaking the law, it must be time to resurrect this thread again...
IMHO the UK now faces a crisis that is, in some ways, even greater than the one we faced when confronting Hitler. In WW2 at least we had politicians of integrity, who upheld our democratic values, and around whom the nation could unite. There was no enemy within.
Please read on...

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1514 ... 74468.html
https://twitter.com/RichardBentall/stat ... qQBSaUrg8g

macliam

Post by macliam » Thu Apr 14 2022 8:22pm

a) Refugees normally don't have visas (look at the mess with Ukraine if they try to get one.....)

b) You can only apply for refuge once you arrive in the UK.

c) If you arrive in the UK without a visa, you may be shipped off to Rwanda,where the UK government will abandon you.

So, here's a nice simple question for any Tory - how does the UK fulfil it's commitment to refugees?

- Be prepared for an "anywhere but here" answer :roll:

3 days back, Ireland welcomed Urainian refugee number 21,000, without a visa...... in a country of under 6m people.

At the same time, the UK (population 68.5m) has taken in some 12,000 - all of whom are either sponsored by individuals or by family members in the UK.

Tories...... taking back control - and using it to keep everyone out :oops:

macliam

Post by macliam » Thu Apr 14 2022 8:41pm

fbrwanda.jpg
fbrwanda.jpg (61.34 KiB) Viewed 2736 times
Thanked by: blythburgh, Sarah

macliam

Post by macliam » Sat Apr 16 2022 11:13am

News today that even Little Miss Jackboots couldn't use her famous "force of character" to keep her civil servants in line over Rwanda!

Priti Patel had to issue a "ministerial direction" to push through the loony-tunes scheme and take personal responsibility for it, because her officials voiced too many concerns - and it is only the second time that a Home secretary had used the power in 30 years. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-61126360

So does that mean that when the policy blows up in Johnson's face, we might be rid of the pocket fascist once and for all?

Richard Frost

Post by Richard Frost » Tue Apr 19 2022 8:29pm

“I do not support the removal to Rwanda policy on the grounds of legality, practicality and ethicacy.”
Former prime minister Theresa May tells Home Secretary Priti Patel what she thinks of the government’s plan to send asylum seekers to Rwanda

macliam

Post by macliam » Tue Apr 19 2022 9:06pm

Richard Frost wrote:
Tue Apr 19 2022 8:29pm
“I do not support the removal to Rwanda policy on the grounds of legality, practicality and ethicacy.”
Former prime minister Theresa May tells Home Secretary Priti Patel what she thinks of the government’s plan to send asylum seekers to Rwanda
Efficacy, I think............ethicacy isn't really a word, or at least, it's not in the Oxford dictionary.

Besides, Theresa May lecturing on ethics in migration policy would make the world cringe in embarrassment. :shifty:

The Rwanda policy is definitely unethical though.........
Thanked by: Richard Frost, blythburgh

Chadwick

Post by Chadwick » Wed Apr 20 2022 7:55pm

I thunk this Rwanda policy serves two purposes. Firstly it's a smokescreen for partygate. Something guaranteed to get some front page space.

Secondly, it's a vote winner. Specifically, it will energise the snarling dogs in the Daily Mail comments section and they will support Boris in the local elections. Then, later, the eventual cancellation of the policy will be attributed to leftie liberal snowflakes - which will further anger the righteous zealots and again encourage their support in the general election. Meanwhile, no-one gets shipped to Rwanda, no massive costs are incurred, no moral and ethical dilemmas need to be faced down.

macliam

Post by macliam » Thu Apr 21 2022 9:52am

Chadwick wrote:
Wed Apr 20 2022 7:55pm
I thunk this Rwanda policy serves two purposes. Firstly it's a smokescreen for partygate. Something guaranteed to get some front page space.

Secondly, it's a vote winner. Specifically, it will energise the snarling dogs in the Daily Mail comments section and they will support Boris in the local elections. Then, later, the eventual cancellation of the policy will be attributed to leftie liberal snowflakes - which will further anger the righteous zealots and again encourage their support in the general election. Meanwhile, no-one gets shipped to Rwanda, no massive costs are incurred, no moral and ethical dilemmas need to be faced down.
I fear you are correct, as with the tragedy in Ukraine, Johnson at al will shamelessly use any diversion to avoid judgement on their slimy tactics, corruption and misgovernment.

The sadder part is that they are abetted in this abuse of power by a vocal proportion of the voting public and by the inaction of others who are disenfranchised by disillusionment a feel powerless in the face of a Tory majority that can distort parliamentary process.