The End Of UK Democracy

Topical debate, moral dilemmas and quirky questions. Join fellow shareholders in civilised discussions of issues of interest
pabenny

Re: The End Of UK Democracy

Post by pabenny » Thu Apr 21 2022 9:56am

I said more or less the same thing here
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=90515&p=270406#p270406
Thanked by: blythburgh

Oggy

Post by Oggy » Thu Apr 21 2022 1:46pm

Putin's finger is hovering over the nuke button and everyone is wittering on about parties. FFS

Richard Frost

Post by Richard Frost » Thu Apr 21 2022 1:55pm

Oggy wrote:
Thu Apr 21 2022 1:46pm
Putin's finger is hovering over the nuke button and everyone is wittering on about parties. FFS
I agree that illegal gatherings in Westminster is a bit of a distraction and largely irrelevant. The great British public will make their own mind up on Boris soon enough (if his party allows him to stand). I personally am more concerned about the fate of Asylum seekers and this countries immigration policy than whether or not a modern day Hitler will press a button or not. A scenario I think is unlikely.
Thanked by: pabenny, blythburgh

pabenny

Post by pabenny » Thu Apr 21 2022 3:55pm

Oggy wrote:
It's not the parties - it's the character of the prime minister. He's consistently shown a disregard for truth and honesty going back to way before he was even an MP. He refused to admit his own wrong-doing until fined. He tramples over parliamentary procedures and conventions when they don't suit him (not that those procedures are themselves sacred but they provide a counter balance to politicians seeking to exercise power in their own interests).

If Putin's finger really was hovering over the nuclear button (and I don't believe it is), I would want a PM with significantly greater integrity than Boris.

Chadwick

Post by Chadwick » Thu Apr 21 2022 5:36pm

Oggy wrote:
a) It's not about the parties. It's about the dishonesty and one-rule-for-them attitude.
b) It would get very confusing if every thread on here had to be about all the major news stories of the day. Much better if each thread focuses on a specific issue.
Thanked by: pabenny, blythburgh

macliam

Post by macliam » Thu Apr 21 2022 9:22pm

As has been said by others, I do not accept that this is about parties, nor is it "time to move on", simply because it is always "time to move on" where Johnson is concerned. He has form as a liar, he has lost his job for lying in the past and he lied to Parliament now. He is only in power because nobody has yet managed to pry it away from his grasp.

The fact that this coincides with a crisis in Ukraine and the attempt to export migrants to a malarial African state with a poor reputation for human rights and democracy, is the fault of one person alone - the current Prime Minister - because he has done everything in his power to avoid scrutiny and judgement for his past actions - relying on his usual tactic to lie and lie again when brought to account for his actions. On both counts, however, the UK needs to have someone at the helm who is not fulfilling some schoolboy fantasy, but seriously serving the voters and leading Parliament.

It's time to consign Johnson to the wastebin of history, before he does further damage to our democracy.
Just because I'm paranoid, it doesn't mean they're not out to get me

blythburgh

Post by blythburgh » Fri Apr 22 2022 9:06am

I could say something here but others have expressed my views in a better way than I would have done. So I will just second many of the posts above.
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler

Chadwick

Post by Chadwick » Fri Apr 22 2022 7:30pm

In a recent interview Johnson said he does not want partygate to go on and on, and he wants to draw a line under it.
In his next breath he says he's happy for another investigation to take place and can't comment further until that investigation has run its course. It won't even start until the Met Police investigation is complete.

If he really wanted to bring this to a close, the solution is entirely is in hands.

blythburgh

Post by blythburgh » Sat Apr 23 2022 7:44am

Put it on the back burner and let people forget about it so I stay PM is his attitude. Heard yesterday the biggest thing in his favour is who would replace him.
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler

macliam

Post by macliam » Sat Apr 23 2022 9:53am

blythburgh wrote:
Sat Apr 23 2022 7:44am
Put it on the back burner and let people forget about it so I stay PM is his attitude. Heard yesterday the biggest thing in his favour is who would replace him.
Were there a clear candidate, Johnson would alrady resemble a hedgehog from all the knives in his back. It is a sad reflection on Tory politics that they can offer nobody better than a lying fraudster as their leader. There again, he was supported in ousting all his biggest opponents early on, in the "Get-Brexit-Done" frenzy, so I have no sympathy.
Just because I'm paranoid, it doesn't mean they're not out to get me