Changes to the NIP

Topical debate, moral dilemmas and quirky questions. Join fellow shareholders in civilised discussions of issues of interest
macliam

Re: Changes to the NIP

Post by macliam » Sat May 14 2022 11:57am

So the DUP have prevented the sitting of the newly elected assembly - and refuse to budge until their "concerns" about the NIP are resolved. However, 51 of the 90 newly-elected MLAs are supportive of the NIP and business leaders in NI have requested changes to some aspects, but not for the protocol to be ditched.

In addition, there is now a proposal for a "landing zone" in NI that would allow goods destined for use within NI to be separated from goods destined for export and differential rules applied, plus it has been pointed out that formally agreeing to maintain common standards in plant and animal welfare between the UK and the EU (the current situation) would remove 80% of the current checks.

So it seems that there are solutions on the table that would remove much of the "pain" of NIP customs checks.... but, of course, the notional "border" in the Irish Sea would remain. Will the British Government negotiate in good faith to achieve a workable solution.... and, if they do and they succeed, would the DUP accept the fact that NI is still treated differently to RoUK?

Practicality or dogmatism?
Just because I'm paranoid, it doesn't mean they're not out to get me

Richard Frost

Post by Richard Frost » Sat May 14 2022 12:38pm

Boris is going to NI next week to sort it all. Problem solved!

macliam

Post by macliam » Sat May 14 2022 1:01pm

Johnson will do doodly-squat, except demonstrate to many why continued union with England is an error......... but he'll probably try to lever the NIP issue to support his own agenda, as he does with everything else.

macliam

Post by macliam » Thu Jun 02 2022 11:24am

Whilst there are many that may support the continuation of the UK honours system, surely the "Damehood" given to Arlene Foster is a difficult one to justify.

This ex-politician may have been the first woman to become First Minister of NI, but let's look at her record.... she opposed every single action to bring NI into the C21st, she personally intervened to keep open the "Cash for Ash" scheme that cost £400m, much of it fraudulent - this after Civil Servants had recommended its closure. When under official investigation, she refused to step aside as First Minister, leading to the collapse of the Assembly. When, after an election where the DUP lost 10 seats, Sinn Féin negotiated the re-opening of the Assembly, she refused to endorse the Irish Language Act - and famously said about giving anything to the nationalists "If you feed a crocodile, it will keep coming back for more."

When Stormont finally restarted in 2020, she attempted to stay on as leader, but was deposed by her own party - and later resigned as an MLA.

Obviously, that's a record worthy of a damehood, eh? I'm sure those who voted against the DUP again in the recent election and find that they still have no working assembly are really impressed.

Richard Frost

Post by Richard Frost » Thu Jun 02 2022 11:31am

When i noticed she had been given it yesterday, I was a bit surprised. But then a lot of these honours (sic) seem to be to be just automatic and not based on merit at all.

Chadwick

Post by Chadwick » Thu Jun 02 2022 2:06pm

The damehood was possibly the price for her to pack it in and stop screwing up the situation.

macliam

Post by macliam » Thu Jun 02 2022 3:42pm

Then for God's sake make the rest of the dinosaurs Lords and Ladies and get them out of the way too!!

Sarah

Post by Sarah » Fri Jun 10 2022 5:11pm

"The odd and worrying situation of the legal advice on the Northern Ireland Protocol"
The supposed legal cover has, well, had its cover blown.

The government has now placed itself in a difficult position – by its own shenanigans.

It must have seemed such a good idea to get legal cover in this way – but it has now created a situation where somebody is in a position to leak legally privileged advice indicating there is an utter mess internally.
These informative articles explain the legal advice shenanigans in detail:
https://davidallengreen.com/2022/06/the ... -protocol/
https://davidallengreen.com/2022/06/tak ... erdays-po/
Thanked by: Chadwick

Chadwick

Post by Chadwick » Fri Jun 10 2022 6:08pm

Sarah wrote:
Fri Jun 10 2022 5:11pm
"The odd and worrying situation of the legal advice on the Northern Ireland Protocol"
The supposed legal cover has, well, had its cover blown.

The government has now placed itself in a difficult position – by its own shenanigans.

It must have seemed such a good idea to get legal cover in this way – but it has now created a situation where somebody is in a position to leak legally privileged advice indicating there is an utter mess internally.
These informative articles explain the legal advice shenanigans in detail:
https://davidallengreen.com/2022/06/the ... -protocol/
https://davidallengreen.com/2022/06/tak ... erdays-po/
In summary:
Government: Without offering an official opinion, is this legal?
Lawyer 1: No.
Lawyer 2: No.
Lawyer 3: No.
Attorney General: Yes
Gov: AG stay. Every one else, thanks and good bye.
Gov: AG - is this legal? Official opinion.
AG: Yes. Just about. If you turn it on its side and squint.
Someone senior: Yeah, we're going to need a second opinion. The back benchers won't buy it from just the AG. Ask the Treasury Counsel aka "Treasury Devil"
Gov: Devil, assuming the AG is right, and without offering an official opinion, is this legal?
Devil: Under those constraints, yes. But frankly, no.
Gov: Hey backbenchers, we've run this past the Treasury Devil as well as the AG, and all the official opinions say this is legal. Go us!
Thanked by: Sarah

macliam

Post by macliam » Fri Jun 10 2022 8:48pm

Johnson has got so used to lying thay he now lies about everything by default. His cronies have learned from the master. Not one of them cares a fig about the truth if it gets in the way of what they want to do.

They are insisting that trade in NI is their concern..... yet, oddly, the DUP seem more concerned about removing any trace of difference between NI and anywhere else in the UK (apart, of course, for the fact that everywhere else actually has a government that is sitting....) and the Toriues are more concerned (again) about the ECJ having oversight of the protocol. Neither of these "red lines" can be addressed via negotiations with the EU..... because neither one is negotiable.

But Johnson et all hope they can just lie to the public (again) and stir the pot in the hope of squeezing out what they want, regardless of the consequences..... just like last time.