Discussion about miscellaneous topics not covered by other forums
Sarah

Re: This governments shenanigans

Post by Sarah » Thu Jun 09 2022 5:33pm

Thanked by: Chadwick, pabenny, blythburgh

Sarah

Post by Sarah » Sun Jun 19 2022 11:20am

Story initially printed in The Times but removed from later and online editions. Super-injunction?

https://twitter.com/FatAngryPigeon/stat ... kYrBhFDPSQ
Thanked by: blythburgh

macliam

Post by macliam » Sun Jun 19 2022 1:08pm

The problem is that people will not be surprised, that there will be no real outrage, that again it will just be Johnson being the scorpion that he is, stinging the public frog because "it is in his nature".

The malaise is not actually with Johnson, he is merely a symptom of it. The malaise is a belief that what is important is to win, whatever the process, and that morality is less important than success. It is a kind of mass sociopathy.... and it is an issue not easily addressed. It is the philosophy of the great lie - that there is an alternative truth in falsehood and that the response to being accused of lying is to lie more and then to move the goalposts. It is the recognition that the voting public has the attention span of a gnat and that this provides ample windows of opportunity for those unconstrained by conscience.

Step back and look at where we are. Lying has become the nature of politics, we are now willing to break international law for political ends, we are using weasel words to mask the true nature of our actions, we have shown contempt for the voting public, we are contemplating a limit to the authority of the ECHR - and we cannot see past the "strong man" who acts without constraint and is "necessary" at this time of crisis. Just like Russia.

Honesty is dead. The world has veered off it's axis and it's hard to see what will correct it, because any attempt will be dismissed as "impractical" or "boring" or "just the same"..... which is the most damning claim of all. All this will be drip-fed by those who stand to profit from the lie. We don't want Corbyn because he is "left wing", we don't want Starmer because his is "boring", we don't want to rid ourselves of a proven liar because of the crisis brought about by his own actions.

Until we know what we DO want, we are damned.
Just because I'm paranoid, it doesn't mean they're not out to get me

Richard Frost

Post by Richard Frost » Sun Jun 19 2022 1:24pm

I was listening to a news report from Wakefield yesterday and was totally disheartened by what the people being interviewed were saying. There seemed to be no real opposition to Johnson. With people saying all sorts of rubbish to justify his actions and saying that they would vote for the Conservatives again. There was no real support (it seemed) for Labour in what people were saying. Maybe they just did not interview a representative sample. Although Question time on Thursday was just as disheartening. It will be very interesting to see how both bye elections go next Thursday. But it seems to me that Labour has a long way to go still if it is to get anywhere meaningful at a General Election. Quite incredible really given the character of Johnson and the crap repressive policies of the Conservatives. I cant believe they are now tagging Asylum seekers. Their policies are popular with a lot of people and feed the insular, blinkered minds of many who voted Brexit and have largely thoughts for themselves rather than looking at the bigger picture.

parchedpeas

Post by parchedpeas » Sun Jun 19 2022 1:41pm

Sadly, England is lost to itself. It will need to fall a long way further before we see this turned around. The Tories have found a very successful way to divide people and push their buttons, and the electoral system is stacked against any change. Even though Starmer is clearly a better option than Johnson I don't think even he would be radical enough to change the things that need to change.

Scotland and Northern Ireland are already gone: it's just a matter of time now, as the generations age. Young people who want to progress would be better looking to move away from England and start elsewhere.

What a sorry mess it has become.

Richard Frost

Post by Richard Frost » Sun Jun 19 2022 2:17pm

parchedpeas wrote:
Sun Jun 19 2022 1:41pm
Scotland and Northern Ireland are already gone: it's just a matter of time now, as the generations age. Young people who want to progress would be better looking to move away from England and start elsewhere.

What a sorry mess it has become.
Scotland I can agree. It is just a matter of time before it becomes independent. I do not think it is close. For a start this UK government will not allow a vote. But they do have a battle looming and by not allowing a vote they are just prolonging the agony. I have never followed NI politics that closely, only recently has it come more to the fore for me. I am really not sure how strong the move for change is there. There is a move for change though, and it seems to me that the Unionist parties with their seemingly will for division do not help.
Last edited by Richard Frost on Sun Jun 19 2022 2:55pm, edited 1 time in total.

macliam

Post by macliam » Sun Jun 19 2022 2:51pm

The "mistake" to make over Ireland would be to think that a vote against union with the UK is immediately a vote for a reunited island. A vote in favour of reunion would just be the starting pistol.... and whilst I find it hard to agree with Sinn Féin much of the time, what they are saying is true...... people north and south should be talking about it realistically, not as some "castle in the air" wish. However, you may be sure that the unionists will fight against any such proposal with all the tools at their command.... because, having spent the past 100 years dominating their neighbours, they now find it inconceivable that the situation might change.

Scotland is a different kettle of fish, but the ability of Ireland to stand on its own feet certainly dispels the notion that it would be impossible for Scotland. What is missing, for me, is the passion for independence... it's all words. I don't want to see violence, but I don't see anyone willing to sacrifice their comfort for an independent Scotland, let alone anything more..... so they will struggle with the currency issue amongst other things. The concept of a land border within Britain would also be difficult..... just as it has been in Ireland.

However, there is a greater intransigence by England towards allowing the other nations more autonomy.... I see no likelihood of an extension to devolved powers, so the others will remain as glorified county councils, dancing to the financial tune called by Westminster. This intransigence may well be the root cause of further calls for independence, but it's difficult to see when that balance tips.

Meanwhile, England will continue to have issues with its regional problems and the inequality therein... again, it's hard to see anything but token gestures from a government dominated by people from the South-East and looking to preserve their own advantages.

Sarah

Post by Sarah » Sun Jun 19 2022 4:53pm

Sarah wrote:
Sun Jun 19 2022 11:20am
Story initially printed in The Times but removed from later and online editions. Super-injunction?

https://twitter.com/FatAngryPigeon/stat ... kYrBhFDPSQ
The New European are saying that the story was dropped under pressure from Johnson:
Walters got the story into the Times on page five. MailOnline, conscious that they couldn’t ignore such a big story once it was out in the public domain, duly followed it up.

Johnson was in Kyiv when he heard that the story was about to break and quickly forgot all about his friend Volodymyr Zelensky’s problems. He got his staff on the case and the story was dropped from later editions of today’s Times and the story promptly disappeared, too, from MailOnline.
"Mystery surrounds Times exclusive claiming Boris Johnson wanted to give Carrie Symonds a £100,000 role"
https://www.theneweuropean.co.uk/boris- ... reet-role/

"Times journalist: I stand by my Johnson scoop"
https://www.theneweuropean.co.uk/simon- ... son-scoop/

Sarah

Post by Sarah » Mon Jun 20 2022 5:14am

The main points of the suppressed story have apparently already been published in Lord Ashcroft's book about her.

Dominic Cummings is claiming this scandal isn't the only incidence:
https://twitter.com/Dominic2306/status/ ... rk9lwo_A5w
Thanked by: blythburgh, sanity clause

macliam

Post by macliam » Tue Jun 21 2022 9:44am

ImageSo, after doing the rounds saying how the rail dispute is a matter between the unions and the employers, it now appears that the government has a clause in its contract with the rail companies covering industrial action, which basically says they can't make substantial concessions without written government assent........ and, of course, the government has limited pay rises to 3%.

This, of course, is the same government that is gearing up to limit the right of the unions to take industrial action and also mooting the implementation of compulsory minimum services on the rail industry. Both of these would be a further rollback on the rights of workers to use the withdrawal of their labour as a means of negotiation.

Grant Schapps, like his master, proves that the truth is a stranger to him........