Don't put it off!!!

Discussion about miscellaneous topics not covered by other forums
blythburgh

Re: Don't put it off!!!

Post by blythburgh » Tue Jun 28 2022 11:52am

Hope the test is negative but as they found a polyp you should still be screened.
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler

macliam

Post by macliam » Tue Jun 28 2022 1:07pm

blythburgh wrote:
Tue Jun 28 2022 11:52am
Hope the test is negative but as they found a polyp you should still be screened.
That will be my argument........ but how far I'll get is moot.

Going back to my original operation, the fact that they managed to remove and test less than the required number of lymph-nodes for me to get the "all clear" has always been a cause for concern..... so this just adds to that....................
Thanked by: blythburgh
Just because I'm paranoid, it doesn't mean they're not out to get me

macliam

Post by macliam » Wed Jun 29 2022 3:54pm

Understandably, my thoughts have been drawn to the passing of Dame Deborah James. The death of someone so young really puts things into context, though I must admit I only paid limited attention to her story until recently. Obviously I echo her "Check your Poo!" message and was aware of the great job she was doing of publicising the fight against bowel cancer, but I didn't really check her back-story.

It turns out that, unlike me, she had multiple symptoms - but was misdiagnosed with anything but cancer. Tests failed her (what or which tests i don't know.... as I often say, tests test what they test and nothing more) and only a private colonoscopy finally exposed a 2-inch tumour on her bowel, which was immediately recognized as stage 3 (therefore having penetrated the bowel as opposed to mine at stage 2 which hadn't). This finally turned out to be stage 4 - meaning that nearby lymph-nodes had been infected..... (that is only a post-operative diagnosis) and at that point it is a real fight. So, 6 years of fight, only to die at 40 years of age. It's a sad tale.

Then today, George Alagiah, the BBC journalist was on R4 and updated us on his own situation. He ignored symptoms (as men often do) and was also diagnosed at stage 4 in 2014. His cancer is terminal, it has spread to other organs, so it is now a matter of time. He has pointed out that he could have been caught earlier if the screening programme in England, which is automatically offered from the age of 60, was the same as that in Scotland, where it is automatically offered from the age of 50. Another "postcode lottery".

It makes me grateful that I had access to screening, that my results were followed up and that I was caught early. Whatever my concerns for the future.... at least it still seems open. So please ensure you have the same chance as me - as Deborah said "Check your Poo" and as I have said Don't Put It Off!!
Just because I'm paranoid, it doesn't mean they're not out to get me

Sarah

Post by Sarah » Wed Jun 29 2022 6:09pm

macliam wrote:
Wed Jun 29 2022 3:54pm
"Check your Poo"
Q. How?

A. "Bowel cancer: How to check your poo"
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-61979220