Is it me?

Discussion about miscellaneous topics not covered by other forums
macliam

Is it me?

Post by macliam » Sat Jul 16 2022 11:12pm

Or is there something happening with milk?

Until recently, the "use by" date was a warning, but over the past few weeks it has become almost aspirational. I also like gold top milk for cereal, but I have ended up throwing away half the last few bottles as it has started to taste "oniony" well within it's stated date.

This morning the open milk in my fridge, all of 2 days past the given date, looked a bit suspect and, sure enough, it was off. So I opened a new bottle with an end date of 18th July. Now tonight, I just made a cup of tea - and the milk from that new bottle curdled..... and no, there's no problem with my fridge.

Weird.
Just because I'm paranoid, it doesn't mean they're not out to get me

Richard Frost

Re: Is it me?

Post by Richard Frost » Sun Jul 17 2022 12:32am

No problems here. I have some milk in the fridge bought last Tuesday in Tesco that has an expiry date of the 24th. I usually use milk well before the expiry date. Given the high temperatures at the moment, I wonder if there is a problem to do with storage in your supply chain. Perhaps change the suppler and see if that helps. Milk is a use by date not a best before, so i would not expect to use it after the stated date.
Thanked by: blythburgh

macliam

Post by macliam » Sun Jul 17 2022 1:06am

It may be the supply chain...... but if so, it is new.

Sarah

Post by Sarah » Sun Jul 17 2022 11:46am

Where are you getting your milk from? Obviously if it's from a door-to-door milk round then the currently warmer weather each morning could be having an impact before it reaches you and whilst waiting on the doorstep. I'd expect that procedures for supermarket deliveries and stock management are a lot more tightly controlled to lessen and probably eliminate seasonal effects.

I'd nevertheless treat fresh supermarket milk beyond the 'use by' date with great caution and wouldn't expect it to be okay for long once opened. Some unpleasant past experiences at work taught me to always sniff the milk there before using it, even before the 'use by' date!

Have you checked your fridge temperature?

I personally usually only buy UHT milk, which has 'best before' dates that are months into the future. I've not noticed any changes in the product taste or quality recently - only big price increases!

macliam

Post by macliam » Sun Jul 17 2022 1:24pm

Supermarket bought and I've checked the fridge..... it's just milk that is turning far quicker than ever before. Yesterday's "new" bottle, 2 days inside the marked date was the latest example. The problem is, going elsewhere for the milk will entail a lot more driving.... but it will have to be.

Unfortunately, I can't stand the taste of UHT (although I found some in Portugal that seemed fairly tasteless in Galoes (the equivalent of lattes.....)

Sarah

Post by Sarah » Sun Jul 17 2022 1:58pm

You're not leaving it out of the fridge for a significant time while using it, right? Milk can go sour at room temperature in less than 2 hours; quicker in hot weather.

macliam

Post by macliam » Sun Jul 17 2022 2:04pm

No, it comes out, gets used, goes back......

It bears all the hallmarks of bad storage.... but not whilst in my hands :(

Sarah

Post by Sarah » Sun Jul 17 2022 2:10pm

It might be worthwhile complaining to the store. They'll probably refund you and perhaps investigate to find out whether mistakes are being made.

jaytee

Post by jaytee » Sun Jul 17 2022 5:44pm

A little dearer, but I find that the filtered milks last longer. I rarely use milk but keep some in for visitors, so this works for me.

Try Cravendale or the supermarket own versions.

https://www.arlafoods.co.uk/brands/arla-cravendale/

Cravendale
We finely filter our milk through ceramic filters. This makes Cravendale stay fresh for up to 3 weeks unopened & 7 days when open, so you can enjoy milky goodness all week long.
Fresher for longer We use ceramic filters to remove naturally occurring impurities whilst keeping in all the good stuff. This keeps Cravendale fresher for longer without adding any additives. Pure genius!

Because Arla Cravendale lasts up to 3 weeks unopened, why not pop a bottle your fridge before your travels, so you can come home to a proper cuppa! So even if you get back in the middle of the night, after a delayed flight and lost luggage, at least you can have a jolly good brew!
Thanked by: emsky, blythburgh

Richard Frost

Post by Richard Frost » Sun Jul 17 2022 6:04pm

Not about milk but certainly about freshness. Was just reading that M&S is joining the growing number of companies removing best before and use by dates from food. A retrograde step IMO.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-62199657