Is it me?

Discussion about miscellaneous topics not covered by other forums
macliam

Re: Is it me?

Post by macliam » Sun Jul 17 2022 6:46pm

I'm going to complain to the store, but I don't expect much.... I'll try buying elsewhere and keep the minimum. I am using some that I froze at present, so I'll freeze more. I don't like filtered milk.... it changes it in a way I don't like (as does UHT), so freexing seems the best option.

I think the dates are important, but misunderstood. My feel at the moment is that the usable date range is being squeezed due to the transport issues, etc. - and because there is, as yet, no cost to the supplier. This may also be made worse by stores reducing the chilling to "save" energy costs.......
Thanked by: blythburgh
Just because I'm paranoid, it doesn't mean they're not out to get me

blythburgh

Post by blythburgh » Mon Jul 18 2022 9:26am

Remember if milk is kept in the door then it will not be as cold as the stuff in the body of the fridge. The door is opened and warm air can hit it.

Not sure why your milk is going off. We have supermarket and doorstep milk and it has never gone off for us.

With milk the sniff test is what I would go by not the date but ours is never in the house long enough to reach use by date
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler

macliam

Post by macliam » Mon Jul 18 2022 10:04am

The "sniff test" doesn't work as milk curdles before it smells..... and often only curdles when poured into tea without obviously being bad.
Just because I'm paranoid, it doesn't mean they're not out to get me

Sarah

Post by Sarah » Mon Jul 18 2022 1:21pm

I opened a carton this morning that's not much good. I got it reduced to clear @ 14p due to damaged packaging, but not leaking or another obvious reason not to buy; it's also not the product line I'd usually choose.

The first such carton was fine, however this second one has the fat and water completely separated; can try to shake or perhaps blend it back together, but it's kinda yucky! :sick: