Brexit still isn’t working!

Topical debate, moral dilemmas and quirky questions. Join fellow shareholders in civilised discussions of issues of interest
macliam

Re: Brexit still isn’t working!

Post by macliam » Thu Jul 14 2022 11:37pm

Chadwick wrote:
Thu Apr 28 2022 6:25pm
Did Boris, Farage, Gove, RJM etc all genuinely believe ............
They believed it was in their own interest. Johnson decided that Brexit would advance his career, Farage was already a full-time fraud, Gove is a serial pursuer of the main chance and JRM (as I presume you meant) is a total hypocrite. Brexit was just a disruptor, because the subsequent chaos has seen a massive wealth transfer from the taxpayer to the rich.
Thanked by: blythburgh, sanity clause
Just because I'm paranoid, it doesn't mean they're not out to get me

Chadwick

Post by Chadwick » Tue Jul 19 2022 9:12pm

macliam wrote:
Thu Jul 14 2022 11:37pm
Chadwick wrote:
Thu Apr 28 2022 6:25pm
Did Boris, Farage, Gove, RJM etc all genuinely believe ............
They believed it was in their own interest. Johnson decided that Brexit would advance his career, Farage was already a full-time fraud, Gove is a serial pursuer of the main chance and JRM (as I presume you meant) is a total hypocrite. Brexit was just a disruptor, because the subsequent chaos has seen a massive wealth transfer from the taxpayer to the rich.
Quite agree. There's a tiny part of me that hopes they really thought this would work, that their cause was driven by a genuine belief that it was the right thing to do.

Obviously Boris just saw it as a chance to further his career. I don't think for a moment he expected to be at the podium the day after, blinking in the sunlight and wondering what he'd just done.

Gove just hung on to Boris' coat tails and hoped he wouldn't fall off the ride.

JRM and the other ERG members were almost certainly more concerned with the tax status of their wealth. Not particularly the impending rule changes, but generally a slow erosion of their ability to squirrel money away out of the taxman's reach and to generally do whatever the hell they wanted without fear of consequences.

Farage... I think is the most honest of them all. He's been publicly banging the same drum for many years. Was he concerned about how it would effect Britain if we evicted all foreigners? Not particularly. I think he half expected Spitfires to deliver the post twice a day, while we drank water out of hoses and won the World Cup. What had started as a bigoted little club had become a nice career for himself, quietly doing nothing in Brussels. I don't think he ever really expected to succeed in his goals, but he had a steady income, a bit of travel, some influence in the European Parliament and it was all quite jolly. Then suddenly his world was upended and he could hardly just sit there and do nothing after all those years. He either revealed himself as a fraud, or he stood up and shouted "Leave!" He must have realised he was pulling the rug from under his own feet. I wonder if he feels any humility now he's lost his livelihood and is degraded to flogging his TikToks for a few quid a time.
Thanked by: blythburgh

Sarah

Post by Sarah » Wed Jul 20 2022 6:56am

Farage hasn't stuck to the same narrative though, he promoted the 'Norway' model during the leave campaign and also advocated for a second/confirmatory referendum until the first result was so narrow that any such later vote could easily have gone the other way.

He had a prime time slot on LBC from 2017 until 2020 when it seemed to become too much of a liability for them and he's got a show on GB News now. I'd guess he's probably pretty comfortable.

Chadwick

Post by Chadwick » Wed Jul 20 2022 7:16pm

Sarah wrote:
Wed Jul 20 2022 6:56am
Farage hasn't stuck to the same narrative though, he promoted the 'Norway' model during the leave campaign and also advocated for a second/confirmatory referendum until the first result was so narrow that any such later vote could easily have gone the other way.

He had a prime time slot on LBC from 2017 until 2020 when it seemed to become too much of a liability for them and he's got a show on GB News now. I'd guess he's probably pretty comfortable.
Until 2016, he was happily beating the anti-EU drum without having to actually do much about it. When the time came, as you say, he thrashed around a bit trying to find the best path - he hadn't actually worked out what that path was beforehand (none of them had).

His LBC slot traded partly on his reputation and profile. A controversial presenter to get the viewers in. I agree - eventually he became a liability. GB News is just the natural black hole that sucks in all the right wing personalities who find their views unwelcome elsewhere.

macliam

Post by macliam » Thu Jul 21 2022 8:47pm

The UK - Australia trade deal has now gone through Parliament on the nod, with no debates and no scrutiny..... abolutely Brexit at it's best!! The Tories have taken back control and screw the rest of Parliament.

https://commonslibrary.parliament.uk/re ... /cbp-9484/

The Government formally laid the agreement before Parliament under the Constitutional Reform and Governance (CRAG) Act 2010, on 15 June 2022. This Act provides for a minimum of a further 21 sitting days (this therefore expiring on 20 July), before the agreement is deemed ratified. Given the state of Parliament, the International Trade Centre called for an extension to the CRAG period to allow scrutiny, but the Government refused to do so.......

macliam

Post by macliam » Sun Jul 24 2022 4:51pm

Sarah

Post by Sarah » Thu Aug 18 2022 12:17am

‘Don’t throw it away!’

Mouldy foods you can eat - ‘won’t do you any harm’ says The Express

https://www.express.co.uk/life-style/fo ... rage-hacks

Warning: If your bread and fruit look like that, definitely don't eat them! :o

blythburgh

Post by blythburgh » Thu Aug 18 2022 10:58am

Heard on Woman's Hour that the majority of the members of the Young Women's Conservative group think Truss will win but would prefer Sunak to win.

Wonder if these young women are like the younger people of the rest of the country, want Sunak, wanted Remain to win. But too many pensioners voted Leave and an overwhelming number of voters in the leadership contest are pensioners.

Brexit and leadership vote the pensioners did/will hold the deciding vote but those too young to retire will be the losers.
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler

macliam

Post by macliam » Thu Aug 18 2022 3:31pm

'twas ever thus....... to make a decision takes experience, but a decision impacts those without.

I don't think allowing 10 year-olds to decide economic policy would be useful either, eh?

The problem is the system that constrains the ability of the majority to influence day-to-day decisions and "empowers" a subset to do so, who only seeking authorisation when forced to do so.

Sarah

Post by Sarah » Fri Aug 19 2022 5:41am

"Sewage polluting Britain’s beaches as swimmers warned to stay out of water at 50 seaside hotspots"
https://www.independent.co.uk/climate-c ... 46968.html

"Sewage hits dozens of beaches in England and Wales after heavy rain"
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-62574105