This governments shenanigans

Discussion about miscellaneous topics not covered by other forums
Chadwick

Re: This governments shenanigans

Post by Chadwick » Sat Aug 06 2022 11:26am

macliam wrote:
Sat Aug 06 2022 8:33am
No Cruella Braverman is suggesting an end to diversity training......

Yep. Going backwards at a rate of knots..... driven by people with an eye to the main chance.
What's worrying is that they're saying these things because they think they're vote winners. ie. popular with the public.
After the surprise of Brexit, they could be right. Which I find uncomfortable.
Thanked by: macliam, blythburgh

macliam

Post by macliam » Sun Aug 07 2022 6:33pm

Chadwick wrote:
Sat Aug 06 2022 11:26am
macliam wrote:
Sat Aug 06 2022 8:33am
No Cruella Braverman is suggesting an end to diversity training......

Yep. Going backwards at a rate of knots..... driven by people with an eye to the main chance.
What's worrying is that they're saying these things because they think they're vote winners. ie. popular with the public.
After the surprise of Brexit, they could be right. Which I find uncomfortable.
I agree. The other worrying thig is:
Thanked by: blythburgh
Just because I'm paranoid, it doesn't mean they're not out to get me

macliam

Post by macliam » Tue Aug 09 2022 4:19pm

Interesting - from the Daily Fail too.....
Blow for Rishi Sunak and Liz Truss as new poll shows the public think NEITHER would be a better prime minister than Keir Starmer - and fare no better against Labour leader than Boris Johnson

Of course, the cynic might think that they are using this poll to boost the idea of retaining Johnson...... :roll:

Sarah

Post by Sarah » Fri Aug 12 2022 7:24am

Excellent headline by Metro today.

Thanked by: blythburgh, Chadwick

blythburgh

Post by blythburgh » Fri Aug 12 2022 7:44am

Obvious that the Commies have taken charge of The Metro and are determined to knife poor Boris in the back - again
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler

Chadwick

Post by Chadwick » Fri Aug 12 2022 3:28pm

blythburgh wrote:
Fri Aug 12 2022 7:44am
Obvious that the Commies have taken charge of The Metro and are determined to knife poor Boris in the back - again
Quite. Although he's not actually going to do anything to help alleviate the poverty-inducing cost of fuel, he did do some top quality urging for others to do something. I think people forget that it's not his responsibility do what he said he would do in his resignation speech. The Metro should focus on the positives.
Boris Johnson, 7th July 2022 wrote:I want you to know that from now on, until the new Prime Minister is in place, your interests will be served. And the government of the country will be carried on.
In hindsight, perhaps he wasn't talking to the public, but to the energy companies instead.
Boris Johnson, 11th August 2022 wrote:Following our meeting today, we will keep urging the electricity sector to continue working on ways we can ease the cost of living pressures and to invest further and faster in British energy security.

The Independent: Boris Johnson urges energy firms to ease cost of living crisis – but offers no new support after talks
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/p ... 43060.html

Richard Frost

Post by Richard Frost » Fri Aug 12 2022 6:32pm

Now you can vote for the next Prime Minister even if you are not on the electoral role or even a British citizen.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-62503218

What a state of affairs!

macliam

Post by macliam » Sun Sep 04 2022 10:48pm

blythburgh

Post by blythburgh » Mon Sep 05 2022 8:06am

Richard Frost wrote:
Fri Aug 12 2022 6:32pm
Now you can vote for the next Prime Minister even if you are not on the electoral role or even a British citizen.

What a state of affairs!
Not to worry they will soon be given the right to vote in our elections. Ex pats in Europe have been promised this for years. But of course the only vote that would have actually affected them, The EU referendum, was denied to them. Most would have voted remain and are now suffering from the Leave win. Doubt it would have meant a Remain win, just a slightly smaller Leave win but at least they would have had a say in something which would affect them. In time they will get to vote on matters that will have no affect on them but as most will vote Tory who cares?
Thanked by: macliam
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler

macliam

Post by macliam » Mon Sep 05 2022 2:06pm

blythburgh wrote:
Mon Sep 05 2022 8:06am
Richard Frost wrote:
Fri Aug 12 2022 6:32pm

What a state of affairs!
Not to worry they will soon be given the right to vote in our elections. Ex pats in Europe have been promised this for years. But of course the only vote that would have actually affected them, The EU referendum, was denied to them. Most would have voted remain and are now suffering from the Leave win. Doubt it would have meant a Remain win, just a slightly smaller Leave win but at least they would have had a say in something which would affect them. In time they will get to vote on matters that will have no affect on them but as most will vote Tory who cares?
This is true in parts...... the right to vote is withdrawn after a few years, although, as said, there have been promises of change for a long time.

However, I am on a few expat forums and the pricture after that becomes far less clear. Most of those in Portugal and Spain, being longstanding expat areas, were (and are) less than happy at having been denied a vote on Brexit, but not all see the right to vote in ALL elections as relevant.... the suggestion being that it should have been decided separately, on context - just as many argued that 16 year-olds should have had a vote on their future too.

Some expats, amazingly, are Brexiteers (presumably they would have voted for Truss too!) - but most are firmly remainers, firstly because of the effect leaving the EU has on them, but also because they have lived experience in an EU state outside the UK. Of course, those denied a vote in the referendum were even more hacked off to see Johnson preside over the clusterfudge Brexit without being able to vote against him too.

I fear the overall result would have been the same - and since nobody had the nous to realise how divisive a close result would be, a narrower win would have been even worse.