Smoking Display ban

Topical debate, moral dilemmas and quirky questions. Join fellow shareholders in civilised discussions of issues of interest

Will it make a difference?

You may select 1 option

View results

kevinchess1

Smoking Display ban

Post by kevinchess1 » Fri Apr 06 2012 9:23am

Story Here
Will it make a difference?
Politically incorrect since 69

Sarah

Re: Smoking Display ban

Post by Sarah » Fri Apr 06 2012 9:54am

Hasn't this measure already been implemented for quite some time in Scotland? Did it work there? Has minimum alcohol pricing in Scotland solved drunkenness there too? No.

Anyway, here's what I think they could try -- the minimum age for buying tobacco products for personal use should be raised by 1 year every year. In this way, the revenue earned from the taxes on tobacco would be reduced only very gradually. Smoking would be stopped for every new generation and eventually for everyone, so long as we believe that prohibition itself works. Of course prohibition doesn't work for hard drugs and didn't work too effectively for alcohol either, but this plan should at least cut down on the numbers smoking by a significant percentage. I realise there will also be difficulties with tourists who smoke and resident smokers importing tobacco from other countries, but I've not heard any better ideas!

itsmeagain

Post by itsmeagain » Fri Apr 06 2012 8:10pm

Its been like that in our local sommerfield for a few weeks and all it has done is make the assistants more bad tempered as it causes so much more bother for them .First they have to remember what is where and then move the covers to get at the stuff :P
I have not seen the queue lessen any in fact it gets longer as it takes more time to serve each person :crazy:

Luke_PieStalker

Post by Luke_PieStalker » Fri Apr 06 2012 9:22pm

So being aware that a shop sells one of the worlds most addictive drugs, BUT is now behind a thin casing will stop people buying?

By that logic, people must have been walking past and caught the image of ciggies on display and THEN decided to take up smoking.

Yeah....

superman

Post by superman » Fri Apr 06 2012 11:01pm

what the eyes cannot see the heart still wants.

Luke_PieStalker

Post by Luke_PieStalker » Fri Apr 06 2012 11:23pm

superman wrote:what the eyes cannot see the heart still wants.
This is also the opinion of Sunderland fans when it comes to trophies.

racquetstringer

Post by racquetstringer » Sat Apr 07 2012 12:17am

Amazing what lengths this and previous government take to put barriers in the way of people wishing to purchase cigarettes rather than banning smoking altogether. Its not that im for smoking, but the way the Gov manipulates and changes peoples behaviour rather than banning something - Polictics, hey ! I wonder what they will put barriers in front of next?