Earlier payment

richard@imutual
Sharing: 2stars.png

Earlier payment

Post by richard@imutual » Wed May 30 2012 4:48pm

From today onwards, we're going to let you get your cashback faster.....

As you may know, my approach to when you get paid your cashback has been a little bit different from other sites. Merchants can take varying amounts of time to pay us the commission for your transactions (usually within 2-4 months but sometimes much longer). Historically, cashback sites didn't tell you when you were going to get your money; they just said "Once the merchant pays us, we'll update your statement", with perhaps a vague estimate of how long that might be.

I think I was the first (on a former site) to always give an estimated award date as soon as a transaction appeared on your statement. If the award date was reached, your transaction would normally change from pending to awarded provided one of the following conditions had been met:
- We'd received payment from the merchant OR
- The merchant had validated the transaction (i.e. unless they went bust, we were expecting to get paid at some point)
- The transaction was for a small amount

If none of the above applied, your transaction would change to "Extended" until it got validated/paid by the merchant.

So we were often paying cashback out to members before we got paid by the merchant. :shock: To balance this, if we received payment from the merchant before the estimated award date (i.e. earlier than expected), our system would still make you wait until that date before your transaction got awarded. On balance, I thought this was a good approach because it gave people a good idea of when (in most cases) they'd get their money.

However, things move on. I recognise that other sites pay out as soon as they get paid by the merchant, even if that means variable timescales. + I believe some also give estimated award dates now too. And there are fewer instances where imutual pays out before it gets paid, due to the inherent risk of non-payment.

So I've now decided that we're going to start awarding cashback as soon as we've verified that payment has been received from the merchant.. :thumbup: We've amended our system to make this happen for most merchants, and will implement it on the remaining ones as soon as is practicable.

This was requested a while ago, and here I have to give credit to cashbacklover for persistence on this point ;) At the time, it wasn't something I thought we could do due to:
- Lack of large number of members requesting it
- Development priorities
- Impact on cashflow

As our financial strength has grown, I'm now more comfortable about the final point. I'm also aware that other sites tend to work on this basis, and I don't want imutual to be seen as inferior in any way :)

It might take a little while for this new process to 'settle down' but for many of you this will mean receiving your cashback more quickly. Hope you like that 8-)

ImutualLikeAPro

Re: Earlier payment

Post by ImutualLikeAPro » Wed May 30 2012 10:12pm

Great! :D

annfen

Post by annfen » Wed May 30 2012 10:43pm

sounds good to me - thanks

aupt

Post by aupt » Wed May 30 2012 10:46pm

:thumbup: Great news

kevinchess1

Post by kevinchess1 » Wed May 30 2012 10:57pm

Awful ideer :shock:
Don't get me vote :thumbdown:
Politically incorrect since 69

Sarah

Post by Sarah » Thu May 31 2012 3:25am

I like it. Getting paid sooner is surely an attractive proposition for cashback site members and imutual does need to catch up with other sites if it wants to become more successful. A major competitor recently even paid members just 3 days after their shopping transactions, as a special event. I received this e-mail invite:
We have a special offer for you. We'll pay your cashback just three days after you've made a purchase!

Here's how it works:

1. Make a purchase from one of the participating retailers before midnight Sunday 27 May

2. Once your cashback has tracked, we'll confirm your cashback by Tuesday 29 May (ready to be paid into your bank or PayPal account).

That's click to cash in just 3 days!

On your marks. Get set. Shop!

This early payment offer is only valid on the first purchase you make before Sunday 27 May with the participating retailers. All other purchases will be subject to standard timings.

Kelantan

Post by Kelantan » Thu May 31 2012 9:36am

Has to be a good thing and can only go in our credit.

BeautifulSunshine

Post by BeautifulSunshine » Thu May 31 2012 3:02pm

quick money who can say no to that?
[imutual Cashback Investment Club]

Luke_PieStalker

Post by Luke_PieStalker » Thu May 31 2012 10:20pm

kevinchess1 wrote:Awful ideer :shock:
Don't get me vote :thumbdown:
Care to put forward your arguement? Not sure myself, seems good on paper but get the feeling its not all our way.

kevinchess1

Post by kevinchess1 » Thu May 31 2012 11:47pm

People are quite happy tobe paid when the date is dated aren't they :?:
Never forget it is our money
Politically incorrect since 69