Re: Snow

Post by sanity clause » Mon Jan 21 2013 10:11am

kevinchess1 wrote:I've got A GOOD 6 inches here. schools closed

oo-er missus! :shock:
Thanked by: pihilp, kevinchess1

blythburgh

Post by blythburgh » Mon Jan 21 2013 10:47am

Had 10 cms aka 4 ins of snow yesterday, the most by far this time around.

We had run out of eggs, not much sugar and ate the last of the carrots yesterday. So I ordered some eggs and sugar off the milkman.

I insist he calls on us despite 'im indoors preferring to get milk at the supermarket because I feel they provide a lifeline especially for older people. Just as well I am allowed to win that battle. :lol:

Still no carrots but we have a garlic, a bit of celery and a red pepper left plus peas, sweetcorn and broad beans in the freezer. Carrots would be nice but we can live without them. Onions are a no no for my husband healthwise and I do miss them. But I can have them as a side dish on my own so that is OK, especially as I have a couple of large ones in the kitchen.

No fresh meat but we have bacon, a tin of corned beaf, some tins of tuna in the cupboard and some veggie "meat" in the freezer. We have a mix of real meat and veggie meat meals as that is what we like.
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler

xrppzi

Post by xrppzi » Tue Jan 22 2013 9:00am

Have to venture out today for a doctor's appointment, but otherwise we've been indoors for best part of a week now. At least 8 inches of snow outside the door and we rarely get gritted. But I've lived most of my life in rural locations, so the freezer and store cupboard are well stocked with meat, fish, bread, etc (including lots of fresh veg in the fridge that keeps a while) and we could eat well for a month at a pinch! I used to keep sacks of potatoes, carrots, onions and swedes in the shed, but when the children left home, there was no longer a need for such vast supplies!
Thanked by: blythburgh

kevinchess1

Post by kevinchess1 » Tue Jan 22 2013 10:46am

Caption Comp;
Bruce wrote:This is my garden

Cutback hit Kew gardens
Politically incorrect since 69

blythburgh

Post by blythburgh » Tue Jan 22 2013 7:18pm

Yeehah at 6:45 a.m. the temp outside was 37 degrees F according to the weather station.

Snow was mushy and we went westwards to Beccles. Only visited Tesco's but it was great to be able to go further than the mile or so to the local Asda. Haven't been out of Lowestoft since the week before Christmas so it was great to get out.

And amazingly despite hardly being used since Christmas Eve the car started first time. A Nissan Micra so "made in Britain" :thumbup:
Thanked by: 1960mackem
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler

Bruce
Sharing: 2stars.png

Post by Bruce » Tue Jan 22 2013 7:32pm

I've spent the last few days in Krakow, Poland. The temperature was between -4 and -7 degrees during the day. Amazing how they cope with the constant snow for months.

Yesterday, we had a type of weather called "freezing rain". Normal rain falling, but freezes on hitting a surface. At least an inch of growing solid ice on some cars. A thin layer even formed on my coat as I walked along the street.

Flying back over the UK, you'd be forgiven for thinking you were still in Poland, albeit with the only difference being cars driving on the other side.

Mel

Post by Mel » Wed Jan 23 2013 4:36pm

Just before 3pm this afternoon it started snowing here so I looked at the official Met. Office website to see what the forecast was. It claimed that at 1458 there was 'heavy cloud and the 1500 forecast was for sleet. It is still snowing now - proper snow not sleet. Why do we spend millions of pounds on having a Met. Office which cannot even get it right when the weather is right outside the window of the local reporting site?

1960mackem

Post by 1960mackem » Wed Jan 23 2013 4:59pm

blythburgh wrote:Yeehah at 6:45 a.m. the temp outside was 37 degrees F according to the weather station.

Snow was mushy and we went westwards to Beccles. Only visited Tesco's but it was great to be able to go further than the mile or so to the local Asda. Haven't been out of Lowestoft since the week before Christmas so it was great to get out.

And amazingly despite hardly being used since Christmas Eve the car started first time. A Nissan Micra so "made in Britain" :thumbup:

Made in SUNDERLAND :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

xxxraichxxx

Post by xxxraichxxx » Wed Jan 23 2013 9:29pm

The snows melting here now. Ive now got blyburgers cold though :lol: :(

badtothebone

Post by badtothebone » Thu Jan 24 2013 5:11pm

kevinchess1 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:51 am
I've got A GOOD 6 inches here.
..... Looks like you're in for 8" Friday night :crazy: