Breaking share news...

Discussion of the proposed Cashback Investment Club

Moderator: CIC officers

garindan

Breaking share news...

Post by garindan » Thu Feb 18, 2016 9:34 am

All,
I have created this new thread for members to post about share price movement, especially those from our own portfolio. currently this discussion gets lost among various threads, so it is worth us having this thread to keep it all together. We can use other threads when we are discussing specific topics.

Thanks,
Andrew
Chairman: iMutual's Cashback Investment Club (CIC) - contact me about joining!
Visit the Cashback Investment Club forum to find out more.

garindan

Re: Breaking share news...

Post by garindan » Thu Feb 18, 2016 9:38 am

Yesterday saw one of our best days, in terms of value increase. Sainsbury rose 4.4%, whilst Royal Dutch Shell and ITV also made very healthy gains over 2%.

~9:40am

Today Royal Dutch Shell has fallen back by approximately the same gain amount it made yesterday.
Sainsbury has continued its recovery, gaining a further 1.5% at the time of writing., now only 5% down on purchase price.
GlaxoSmithKline went ex-divi today and has fallen over 3% in value.

Should make for an interesting day.
Thanked by: richard@imutual, Beachboy

AAAlphaThunder

Post by AAAlphaThunder » Thu Feb 18, 2016 12:17 pm

The recent independent analysis on the SBRY-Argos bid has gone down well. For all of the nay sayers, it appears that Coupe et al are thinking long-term.
[Secretary] imutual Cashback Investment Club

AAAlphaThunder

Post by AAAlphaThunder » Fri Feb 19, 2016 8:06 pm

Home Retail Group, parent company of Argos, has received a rival bid for its business after supermarket Sainsbury's offered £1.3bn for the company.

The second takeover offer has come from South African retailer Steinhoff, which has offered 175p per share.

HRG said it was reviewing both offers.

Sainsbury's, which bid 161.3p per share, has until 23 February to make a firm offer.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-35615202
[Secretary] imutual Cashback Investment Club

borderjoe

Post by borderjoe » Fri Feb 19, 2016 10:54 pm

garindan wrote:All,
I have created this new thread for members to post about share price movement, especially those from our own portfolio. currently this discussion gets lost among various threads, so it is worth us having this thread to keep it all together. We can use other threads when we are discussing specific topics.

Thanks,
Andrew
Thanks for this-as a newish member, I especially appreciate it.
Thanked by: garindan

timco

Post by timco » Thu Feb 25, 2016 10:02 am

Lloyds have announced a divi of 1.5p (2.25p for the year) + a special divi of 0.5p

The share has been on a big low with the postponement of the government getting their stickies out, PPI announcements and the uncertainty on just how stupid the British public are.

Big things to come with this share in the long term 1-300% (I think it should be about 3X its value now) capital increase + bigger divi's I reckon in the next 18 months or so.

The later bit all personal opinion
Thanked by: garindan

garindan

Post by garindan » Thu Feb 25, 2016 10:08 am

timco wrote:Lloyds have announced a divi of 1.5p (2.25p for the year) + a special divi of 0.5p

The share has been on a big low with the postponement of the government getting their stickies out, PPI announcements and the uncertainty on just how stupid the British public are.

Big things to come with this share in the long term 1-300% (I think it should be about 3X its value now) capital increase + bigger divi's I reckon in the next 18 months or so.

The later bit all personal opinion
I don't think it would be a bad thing for us to invest in a bank next, to diversify still further our portfolio. I think if we hold GSK, RDSB, a bank and a fourth long-term share from a fourth sector we should then look to top them up and twist with a few "less long-term" shares to make it a little more exciting.

timco

Post by timco » Mon Feb 29, 2016 8:02 am

http://www.theguardian.com/business/201 ... isons-deal

Seems Morrisons really don't understand the market they are in and that tying up with the rapacious online store will do significant damage to their bricks and mortar stores.

garindan

Post by garindan » Mon Feb 29, 2016 8:58 am

timco wrote:http://www.theguardian.com/business/201 ... isons-deal

Seems Morrisons really don't understand the market they are in and that tying up with the rapacious online store will do significant damage to their bricks and mortar stores.
Maybe they think any damage inflicted on themselves will be far outweighed by a) the new revenue stream and b) the damage inflicted on the other big three?

It is either a potential stroke of genius by the backrunner in the supermarket group to make ground or a potential step of desperation.

It is interesting to see though - Sainbury trying to buy Argos to change their gameplan, Morrison's partnering with Amazon - it makes you wonder what ASDA and Tesco will do next. Time will tell how all this ends up.

William Joseph1

Post by William Joseph1 » Mon Feb 29, 2016 9:06 am

timco wrote:http://www.theguardian.com/business/201 ... isons-deal

I should have thought that the potential for them to grow their business can only help them given the current state of play.
It is polite to thank a post. If you like it or if you feel it has helped you. Use the thumb up on the top right of the post.