metric road signs? How dare they

Topical debate, moral dilemmas and quirky questions. Join fellow shareholders in civilised discussions of issues of interest
blythburgh

metric road signs? How dare they

Post by blythburgh » Sat Nov 26, 2016 12:36 pm

http://talkradio.co.uk/news/anti-metric ... 1611257041

I heard about this idiot on Look East News last night and am furious that he was given the breath of publicity by them.

He is a thief pure and simple. If he finds a road sign using Metic measurements he removes them if possible or changes them if he cannot steal them.

And like all thieves he should feel the strong arm of the law on his collar.

But instead he will be regarded as an eccentric pensioner and nothing will be done.

I was brought up to learn in feet and inches, pounds and ounces. And my money had 240 pennies to the pound. It took time to adjust to 100 pence to the pound, working out how many feet and inches was in the metric stated.

But would I retreat from metric> No way, I felt pleased that children could be taught in Metric measures and not have the agonies I had in Maths but instead could be learning more advanced stuff that might be of use to them in later life.

The sweet shop in Southwold has a notice that all sweets are sold by the quarter of a pound. I always ask for 100 grammes ;) but the owner is not present to witness my protest :thumbdown:
Thanked by: macliam, pabenny
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler

sanity clause

Re: metric road signs? How dare they

Post by sanity clause » Sat Nov 26, 2016 12:52 pm

I can't say that I've seen any road signs in kilometres.

It'd be very confusing unless stated as such!
Thanked by: blythburgh

macliam

Post by macliam » Sat Nov 26, 2016 1:01 pm

Well he'd hate the Republic! :mrgreen:

Drive on the left, but distances and speeds in Km.

Guiness is still served in pints though! :mrgreen:
Just because I'm paranoid, it doesn't mean they're not out to get me

macliam

Post by macliam » Sat Nov 26, 2016 1:14 pm

sanity clause wrote:I can't say that I've seen any road signs in kilometres.

It'd be very confusing unless stated as such!
I don't understand the sign shown in the article - the two unaltered distances are in miles, so why would the other be in Km? But I think the majority of the signs altered are shorter disances expressed in metres.

Of course, as well as learning to speak English, all tourists should acquaint themselves with our archaic imperial measures...... just part of "taking back control" :?

Pandora

Post by Pandora » Sat Nov 26, 2016 1:38 pm

blythburgh wrote:http://talkradio.co.uk/news/anti-metric ... 1611257041

I heard about this idiot on Look East News last night and am furious that he was given the breath of publicity by them....
Where have you been? Similar 'idiots' have been doing this sort of thing for years.
blythburgh wrote:...He is a thief pure and simple. If he finds a road sign using Metic measurements he removes them if possible or changes them if he cannot steal them.

And like all thieves he should feel the strong arm of the law on his collar. ...
Not theft. Theft requires the "intention of permanently depriving" the owner of the sign. See, for example, the case of Tony Bennett from way back in 2002. You would have more luck with criminal damage.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/2384065.stm
blythburgh wrote:...But instead he will be regarded as an eccentric pensioner and nothing will be done.

I was brought up to learn in feet and inches, pounds and ounces. And my money had 240 pennies to the pound. It took time to adjust to 100 pence to the pound, working out how many feet and inches was in the metric stated.

But would I retreat from metric> No way, I felt pleased that children could be taught in Metric measures and not have the agonies I had in Maths but instead could be learning more advanced stuff that might be of use to them in later life.

The sweet shop in Southwold has a notice that all sweets are sold by the quarter of a pound. I always ask for 100 grammes ;) but the owner is not present to witness my protest :thumbdown:
The issue is this. It is claimed that metric road signs are not legal. Not being a qualified legal type person, I don't really know. But on the other hand PART 3 - Permitted expressions of distance of Schedule 18 of The Traffic Signs Regulations and General Directions 2016 only permits miles and yards. So they might be right. You can't just put up any old sign on a road. It has to comply with the law.

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2016 ... le/18/made

And since every road sign I have ever seen in the UK quantifies distances and speed limits in miles. I'd question the sanity of someone who thought it was good idea to randomly stick up metric road signs.

macliam

Post by macliam » Sat Nov 26, 2016 1:47 pm

Pandora wrote:The issue is this. It is claimed that metric road signs are not legal. Not being a qualified legal type person, I don't really know. But on the other hand PART 3 - Permitted expressions of distance of Schedule 18 of The Traffic Signs Regulations and General Directions 2016 only permits miles and yards. So they might be right. You can't just put up any old sign on a road. It has to comply with the law.

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2016 ... le/18/made

And since every road sign I have ever seen in the UK quantifies distances and speed limits in miles. I'd question the sanity of someone who thought it was good idea to randomly stick up metric road signs.
As I said, from other articles. it seems that the target are not "Road Signs" per se, but distance indicators to points of interest, etc. I can't imagine anyone putting an official road sign up in Km only. :roll:

However, given the move to metrication and for the convenience of tourists, it does seem to me that including the kilometre distance as a subsidiary indication might not be a bad idea......

blythburgh

Post by blythburgh » Sat Nov 26, 2016 2:18 pm

Bridge heights etc are often in metric.

Well we voted for Brexit so we could take back control according to Farage. Did not hear him complain about the Yankee President elect telling us who should be our Ambassador to the US of A should be.

Despite the fact they are always chosen by the Govt. of the country appointing them.
Thanked by: pabenny
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler

Pandora

Post by Pandora » Sun Nov 27, 2016 10:45 am

macliam wrote:As I said, from other articles. it seems that the target are not "Road Signs" per se, but distance indicators to points of interest, etc. I can't imagine anyone putting an official road sign up in Km only. :roll: ......
The thread title refers to "metric road signs", and it appears that the TSRGD does not allow them. Although I understand that the imperial vigilantes will attack any sign that's SI. Those are supposed to be legal if you have planning permission.

macliam wrote:...However, given the move to metrication and for the convenience of tourists, it does seem to me that including the kilometre distance as a subsidiary indication might not be a bad idea......
The "move to metrication" has been going on since 1965. Even the EU has given up on the idea of forcing the pace.

Pandora

Post by Pandora » Sun Nov 27, 2016 10:48 am

blythburgh wrote:Bridge heights etc are often in metric.
They are supposed to be both imperial and metric.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-29965935

Which would make sense, as we don't want any Polish HGV drivers taking out a bridge at ransom.

Chadwick

Post by Chadwick » Sun Nov 27, 2016 1:22 pm

“I think it is a question of freedom of choice to use what we want.”

Says man offended by other people using what they want.
Thanked by: macliam