So what did you vote for?

Media articles about money-saving topics
parchedpeas

Re: So what did you vote for?

Post by parchedpeas » Thu Nov 22, 2018 9:01 am

So you accept that calling a second referendum is democratic? And if that referendum returns a remain vote - as it probably would - then that would be democratic too?
Thanked by: blythburgh

Boro Boy

Post by Boro Boy » Thu Nov 22, 2018 12:02 pm

parchedpeas wrote:So you accept that calling a second referendum is democratic? And if that referendum returns a remain vote - as it probably would - then that would be democratic too?
You can't tongue twist the situation; it is not democratic to over-ride the first democratic vote just because you don't think people got it right... :wtf:

William Joseph1

Post by William Joseph1 » Thu Nov 22, 2018 12:33 pm

Boro Boy wrote:
parchedpeas wrote:So you accept that calling a second referendum is democratic? And if that referendum returns a remain vote - as it probably would - then that would be democratic too?
You can't tongue twist the situation; it is not democratic to over-ride the first democratic vote just because you don't think people got it right... :wtf:
I doubt the 2nd referendum if called would be a straightforward in/out vote. Personally I think that it would be legitimate to have another on the basis that the first was fundamentally flawed. In as much as that both campaigns lied about the outcomes and vote leave (possibly) campaigned fraudulently.
It is polite to thank a post. If you like it or if you feel it has helped you. Use the thumb up on the top right of the post.

pabenny

Post by pabenny » Thu Nov 22, 2018 1:29 pm

Those who support remain will tend to support a second referendum as they hope that the first result will be overturned.
Those who support leave will tend to oppose a second referendum as they fear that the first result will be overturned.
Thanked by: blythburgh, Chadwick

Chadwick

Post by Chadwick » Fri Nov 23, 2018 8:15 am

Chadwick wrote:Or, it's like Boro Boy making claims that can be proven false, but he still believes, and simply moves on to the next fallacy to back up his belief.
I note your response was simply to move on to a different topic and make a comment about the perceived tone of my comment.
Should I interpret that as implicit acceptance of what I said? Perhaps an unwillingness to engage with the content? Or maybe you didn't have a good answer to my point and simply moved on to the next straw man argument to back up your belief?

parchedpeas

Post by parchedpeas » Fri Nov 23, 2018 9:35 am

Boro Boy wrote:
I'm not tongue twisting. You believe in democracy and sovereignty. It's pretty clear that May's deal is a turkey and will struggle to pass through Parliament. So what then? The only possible way out, other than no-deal (which we've not prepared for), is to either stop Brexit entirely, or ask the people what they want to do. The actions of a sovereign parliament, democratically elected by all of us. What's the problem?

Chadwick

Post by Chadwick » Fri Nov 23, 2018 11:06 am

Boro Boy wrote:
It's not over-riding the advisory referendum. It's confirming it.

We've done what the first vote indicated was wanted, and we now have a proposal that Theresa May says meets the (undefined) objectives of that vote. Here's your opportunity to say, "Yes, that's what I want to happen", or "No, that isn't what I want, I would prefer X or Y instead"

blythburgh

Post by blythburgh » Fri Nov 23, 2018 11:18 am

I do not want to rerun the referendum, I want a chance to vote on what is on offer. If the majority still want to leave then that is democracy and I have to accept the result.
Thanked by: parchedpeas, Chadwick
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler

parchedpeas

Post by parchedpeas » Fri Nov 23, 2018 11:48 am

blythburgh wrote:I do not want to rerun the referendum, I want a chance to vote on what is on offer. If the majority still want to leave then that is democracy and I have to accept the result.
This is also my position. We know the deal now and we can compare it with what we were promised in the last referendum. We can also contrast it against the (far from perfect but best option left of the table) EU membership. If we still vote to leave, then I doubt there is anyone who could argue otherwise: a People's Vote is the only thing that can really start bringing the country back together again.
Thanked by: blythburgh, Chadwick

blythburgh

Post by blythburgh » Fri Nov 23, 2018 12:35 pm

parchedpeas wrote:a People's Vote is the only thing that can really start bringing the country back together again.
Not if UKIP has their way under the current leadership. Even Farage is calling for the current leader to be sacked as he is appalled by what he is up to.

UKIP should "get rid" of leader Gerard Batten for appointing Tommy Robinson as an adviser, says Nigel Farage.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-46308160
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler