Just a question of nature...

Topical debate, moral dilemmas and quirky questions. Join fellow shareholders in civilised discussions of issues of interest
Boro Boy

Just a question of nature...

Post by Boro Boy » Wed May 27 2020 10:28pm

So my lockdown area is Central London and although this is not over stocked with trees you may be surprised how "green" this area actually is. However I noticed today, during my lockdown exercise period (no I didn't drive to the NE Homeland), that the local trees seem to be heavily shedding their leaves...!?!

Is it Autumn, have we already had Summer? Is this leafy phenomena restricted to Central London and to trees missing the carbon burden during lockdown?

So is this happening in your area? :wtf:
Thanked by: blythburgh

expressman33

Re: Just a question of nature...

Post by expressman33 » Wed May 27 2020 10:33pm

Trees lose water through their leaves , hardly any rain for 3 months so they shed leaves to save water.

BeautifulSunshine

Post by BeautifulSunshine » Thu May 28 2020 6:54am

Now that you mention it I'll check out what the local trees are doing.
Thanked by: Boro Boy
[imutual Cashback Investment Club]

Boro Boy

Post by Boro Boy » Sun May 31 2020 12:32am

expressman33 wrote:
Wed May 27 2020 10:33pm
Trees lose water through their leaves , hardly any rain for 3 months so they shed leaves to save water.
Sounds very feasible but I had a word with the gardener in the part across the way (it was full of groups of more than 6 people, no social distancing - is it Monday yet?) and he said it was nothing to do with the water as they have a constant watering regime at this time of year to water the plants and that would permeate into the tree root systems as well... etc.

So the question is still the same; that I missed summer as it must be autumn - the trees in Central London are loosing their leaves in a heavy way. Is this the same wherever you are? :eh:

oldboy

Post by oldboy » Sun May 31 2020 5:55pm

expressman33 is probably right, if the trees are street trees, you'll find that the water from the watering system will not be able to penetrate through the water column, but if your concerned get in touch with the councils tree team.
In answer to your question, yes there is loss of leaves on the street trees due to drought stress (North wst England)
Thanked by: blythburgh, Boro Boy