Brexit still isn’t working!

Topical debate, moral dilemmas and quirky questions. Join fellow shareholders in civilised discussions of issues of interest
blythburgh

Re: Brexit still isn’t working!

Post by blythburgh » Wed Mar 01 2023 11:33am

macliam wrote:
Tue Feb 28 2023 12:09pm
blythburgh wrote:
Tue Feb 28 2023 10:32am
Sarah wrote:
Mon Feb 27 2023 8:33pm
Supermarket shortages solved.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... beach.html

that is not the fault of the sewage companies but us for not removing the seeds and placing them in the compost or "landfill" wheelie bin. Though in our case the black bin stuff is sent to the other end of the county to be incinerated.
Ummm, tomato seeds pass straight through you. My old tortoise was a champion planter......

Anyway, speaking of sh*t, you might have thought that Brexit was achieved by a minority, but now anychance to move forward is likely to be kyboshed by a minority that can't even raise a majority in their own province. After 100 years of getting their own way at home, unionists can't seem to understand that they no longer hold the whip hand.
And that is why it is our fault for not removing the seeds before eating the tomato. (Do we? Of course not, tinned or fresh they get eaten as they come). But in my view the only fresh tomatoes worth eating are ones grown at home using a lower cropping but far more flavoursome plant
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler

Chadwick

Post by Chadwick » Thu Mar 02 2023 10:47am

I think Rishi Sunak is on the money here. All we need to do is work out how the rest of the UK can get in on this, then we can also be in the "world's most exciting economic zone".

'Northern Ireland is in the unbelievably special position - unique position in the entire world - in having privileged access not just to the UK market… but also the EU single market'

'Nobody else has that. No one. Only you guys, only here’

https://twitter.com/ITVNewsPolitics/sta ... 88065?s=20
Thanked by: blythburgh

macliam

Post by macliam » Thu Mar 02 2023 11:50am

Chadwick wrote:
Thu Mar 02 2023 10:47am
I think Rishi Sunak is on the money here. All we need to do is work out how the rest of the UK can get in on this, then we can also be in the "world's most exciting economic zone".

'Northern Ireland is in the unbelievably special position - unique position in the entire world - in having privileged access not just to the UK market… but also the EU single market'

Well it had crossed my mind that, since Richboy has extolled the benefits of his new deal, now might be the ideal time for the whole of the UK to join the Republic, not just the six counties! ;)

I mean. look at the advantages, no more Tory rule, no border issues, no more "Westminster Bubble", access to the EU, proportional representation, a written constitution - and no need to stump up for a coronation or to keep a royal family....... so many positives!! :)

Of course, you'd all have to speak Irish..... :eh:
Just because I'm paranoid, it doesn't mean they're not out to get me

blythburgh

Post by blythburgh » Sat Mar 04 2023 11:20am

macliam wrote:
Thu Mar 02 2023 11:50am
Chadwick wrote:
Thu Mar 02 2023 10:47am

Well it had crossed my mind that, since Richboy has extolled the benefits of his new deal, now might be the ideal time for the whole of the UK to join the Republic, not just the six counties! ;)

I mean. look at the advantages, no more Tory rule, no border issues, no more "Westminster Bubble", access to the EU, proportional representation, a written constitution - and no need to stump up for a coronation or to keep a royal family....... so many positives!! :)

Of course, you'd all have to speak Irish..... :eh:
I have enough trouble speaking English without have to learn to speak Irish
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler

macliam

Post by macliam » Fri Mar 10 2023 12:48pm

Sarah

Post by Sarah » Wed Mar 15 2023 6:48pm

Brexit Pubs Guarantee :lol:

An entirely manufactured 'benefit' of up to 11p introduced by setting duty for pubs slightly different to duty for supermarkets...
Mr Hunt told MPs: "From August 1 the duty on draught products in pubs will be up to 11p lower than the duty in supermarkets, a differential we will maintain as part of a new Brexit pubs guarantee. British ale may be warm, but the duty on a pint is frozen."
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/h ... 01324.html

But...
David Osland wrote:Excise duty on beer in Britain is 12 times higher than in Germany, Spain or Luxembourg.
https://twitter.com/David__Osland/statu ... 86317?s=20

Meanwhile, back in reality...
Steven Swinford wrote:OBR says that real living standards are still expected to fall by a cumulative 5.7% in 2022-23 and 2023-24

It’s better than previous forecasts but will still be the largest fall in living standards since records began in 1956-57
https://twitter.com/Steven_Swinford/sta ... 36290?s=20
Thanked by: blythburgh, Chadwick

Sarah

Post by Sarah » Wed Apr 05 2023 12:06am

Brexit consequences... "Grandmother with Alzheimer's faces deportation from Sweden"
A pensioner with Alzheimer's faces being split from her family and deported to the UK from Sweden, after nearly two decades in the country.

Sweden has ordered British-born Kathleen Poole, 74, to leave after her application to remain in the country post-Brexit was not accepted, her family told the BBC.
Mrs Poole - who moved from Macclesfield, Cheshire, nearly two decades ago to Sweden to be closer to her family - is currently bedbound and receives round-the-clock care in a home where she has been living for the last 10 years.
Angelica said her children remain worried sick that the grandmother may be sent away from them.

"It's not human to split somebody bedridden from her family," Angelica added.

"All this is due to Brexit. The way I see it she's lived here for 19 years this year."

MP Hilary Benn, former Brexit Select Committee chair, has urged the UK foreign secretary, James Cleverly, to intervene in the case.
Sweden has expelled 1,100 British nationals since Brexit, according to the Guardian, which first reported Mrs Poole's case.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-65180538

Sarah

Post by Sarah » Mon Apr 24 2023 7:24am

Der Spiegel takes stock of modern Britain from the outside. This is a pretty good article, worth a read.

"Britain In Crisis: The UK Faces A Steep Climb Out Of A Deep Hole"
Food shortages, moldy apartments, a lack of medical workers: The United Kingdom is facing a perfect storm of struggle, and millions are sliding into poverty. There is little to suggest that improvement will come anytime soon.
This country was already on its knees before Brexit, before the endless phase of political trench warfare and before the pandemic.

And now, it seems as though it has dialed 999 and is waiting in vain for the paramedics to show up.
https://www.spiegel.de/international/eu ... 3364dd675c

bprev

Post by bprev » Thu Apr 27 2023 2:12am

I live in Northern Ireland, I can't buy plants from mainland UK, it will never work for me because of NI Protocol / Windsor Agreement, Leave EU means LEAVE EU

macliam

Post by macliam » Thu Apr 27 2023 3:55am

bprev wrote:
Thu Apr 27 2023 2:12am
I live in Northern Ireland, I can't buy plants from mainland UK, it will never work for me because of NI Protocol / Windsor Agreement, Leave EU means LEAVE EU
Since Brexit, plants have been able to enter from the UK if accompanied by a valid phytosanitary (plant health) certificate, attesting that they are free from specific pests and diseases. This is because the UK failed to agree common standards with the EU as required for access to the single market. So, whilst importation is not straightforward, it has always been possible.

However, the benefit of the Windsor Framework is that it will change the status of imports from the UK and the Government has confirmed that several schemes for moving retail food goods, plants and pets will take effect in Autumn 2023. (https://www.instituteforgovernment.org. ... -framework)

So whilst you dismiss the Protocol and the Framework from your own political viewpoint, your complaint appears to have been addressed by the Windsor Framework - and your views are apparently not shared by the majority of voters, nor by the majority of MLAs, currently prevented from forming a government by the actions of the DUP.