Eaarthquake in Morocco

Discussion about miscellaneous topics not covered by other forums
macliam

Eaarthquake in Morocco

Post by macliam » Sat Sep 09 2023 10:11am

When I first went to Morocco in the early 80s I stayed in Agadir, which was a completely new town after the original was detroyed in an earthquake in the 60s (IIRC). I hated Agadir, but that drove me to spend my time travelling the country - and I truly loved it.

One place I visited was Marrakech. Then it was a vibrant city, still on the hippie trail and without the package holidays of today. Walking in the Djemaa el-Fna was an experience.... snake charmers, chain dancers and all the things from the movies - and, at that time, real rather than tourist fare.Overlooking the square was the 69 metre hig minaret of the Koutoubia mosque (which I knew from the "American-style" cigarettes I was smoking) - not the classical "minaret" but a tower built in the C12th.

Today we have news of a 6.8 magnitude earthquake which has (so far) killed 632 people and injured 329 and caused extensive damage in Marrakech.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/world-africa-66760889

So you can imagine my dismay, when searching for news, to find this
Morocco Earthquake Live Updates: A view shows damage at an old mosque in the historic city of Marrakech, following a powerful earthquake in Morocco, September 9, 2023. (Reuters)

No specific mention of the Koutoubia, but there are reports that it was severely damaged, along with other ancient monuments like the city walls.

There is also mention that the majority of the dead are in towns in the mountain area - Marrakech sits at the foot of the Atlas mountain range - which ahs made access very difficult.

These disasters happen, but when the touch somewhere you have been and that is alive in your memory, it comes as a shock. I hope the number of dead and injured does not continue to climb and that Morocco gets international assistance to help those displaced and to clear up the damage.
Just because I'm paranoid, it doesn't mean they're not out to get me

Chadwick

Re: Eaarthquake in Morocco

Post by Chadwick » Sun Sep 10 2023 9:52am

I believe assistance has been offered by France and the UK at least (a couple of other countries were mentioned on the news but I forget who they are).
Thanked by: blythburgh

macliam

Post by macliam » Sun Sep 10 2023 12:40pm

Well, now the death toll has climbed above 2000, it is a wold-level disaster. It appears the earthquake that levelled Agadir, as i mentioned above, happened in 1960, but was actually less powerful than this one.

macliam

Post by macliam » Sun Sep 10 2023 6:04pm

Still no news regarding the Koutoubia.... though there are videos online of the minaret "smoking" with dust...... which doesn't look good for a 900 year-old building.

Having driven through the Atlas mountains, I can imagine how difficult it is for helpers to get to some of the Berber villages. My mind keeps going back to the little kids we met by the side of the road, high up and off the beaten track. The little girl had a headache, so we offered her an aspirin - but she asked for one for her brother and one to show her father! The people have nothing and what they have is being lost.....

blythburgh

Post by blythburgh » Mon Sep 11 2023 11:30am

I am sure experts from around the world are heading for Morrocco. We know a family in Chile so took a lot of interest in the massive earthquake that happened there a few years back. The trained rescuers in Chile had either just returned or had to return home from rescuing people in another earthquake. Where the other one was I have forgotten. But like macliam when you know the place or any of the people it brings it shakes you more
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler

macliam

Post by macliam » Mon Sep 11 2023 1:43pm

Speaking to SWMBO in Portugal last night, she asked whether the insurance there covers earhquakes as there had been a smaller one in the sea about 75knm away. We forget that earthquakes are not actually uncommon.

Lisbon was almost totally destroyed by an earthquake and follow-up tsunami in 1755 - and the eastern Algarve was hit by the same quake - so people ar a bit concerned.

News from the Atlas is very distressing. I met many southern Berber and found them to be hospitable and friendly people. I hope they get all the help they need.