Post by Richard Frost » Mon Sep 05 2022 4:22pm

macliam wrote:
Mon Sep 05 2022 2:25pm
Richard Frost wrote:
Mon Sep 05 2022 2:15pm
macliam wrote:
Mon Sep 05 2022 2:12pm
5 September

2022 Johnson is finally crowbarred out of No.10.

....... Unfortunately, Queen Truss takes possession of the Tory party and becomes PM #GodHelpUS
Kissing of hands takes place tomorrow 6th September at Balmoral, announcement only today,
Sorry, we crossed posts as I attempted to give some more historical significance! Are you hoping for a coup in the next 24 hours? Maybe an ambush in the Highlands..... where's William Wallace when you need him?
Not sure what happens if the Queen pegs it first, or do they just prop her up and shake hands then announce the death in the evening.

I wonder whether they will be flying to Scotland together or more taxpayers money wasted for separate flights.
Thanked by: blythburgh

macliam

Re: This day in history

Post by macliam » Mon Sep 05 2022 6:18pm

D'you reckon Queenie has seen the Lib-Dem Truss calling for her abolition? Could be awkward......

Then again, just the first of many, I'd guess.

Maybe queenie could do us all a favour and abolish her instead...........
Thanked by: blythburgh
Just because I'm paranoid, it doesn't mean they're not out to get me

Richard Frost

Post by Richard Frost » Wed Sep 07 2022 8:53am

7 September 1940

The Blitz begins, with the Germans bombing London on the first of 57 consecutive nights as the Nazis prepare to invade Britain.
Thanked by: blythburgh, macliam

macliam

Post by macliam » Wed Sep 07 2022 2:07pm

Richard Frost wrote:
Wed Sep 07 2022 8:53am
7 September 1940

The Blitz begins, with the Germans bombing London on the first of 57 consecutive nights as the Nazis prepare to invade Britain.
7 September 2022

The Blitz continues, with inappropriate Ministers being rained down upon the public as the Tories prepare to bankrupt Britain.

However, more pertinently (to me):

1695 - Penal Laws are passed which bar Irish Catholics from education; from holding a commission in the army; from entering a profession; from studying law or medicine; from ownership of weapons, from possessing a horse worth more than five pounds; from speaking Irish or playing Irish music - and all estates were compulsorily divided amongst all heirs (thus ensuring the breakup of any Catholic-owned estates).

Many of these laws also applied to Protestant dissenters, so led to the 1798 United Irishmen rebellion, where the leaders were Protestants. This caused the law to be changed to favour dissenters and sow the seeds of division, which still exists today.
Thanked by: Richard Frost

macliam

Post by macliam » Thu Sep 08 2022 12:54am

....and on the anniversary, Truss appoints Steve Baker as Minister of State, backing up Chris Heaton-Harris as Secretary of State for Northern Ireland.

An extreme Brexiteer and evangelical Christian, backing up another, once accused of conducting a witch-hunt against pro-Remain academics who takes the role in which royal prerogative is vested and who is, uniquely, able to call a border poll without parliamentary oversight.

At a time where the DUP are paralysing politics to insist upon the removal of the NIP..... part of the EU exit treaty signed by the previous PM. Sheer lunacy, ineptitude or pouring petrol on a fire?

As with the imposition of the Penal Laws, the decisions of government can have long-lasting impacts.....

Chadwick

Post by Chadwick » Thu Sep 08 2022 10:22am

macliam wrote:
Thu Sep 08 2022 12:54am
Sheer lunacy, ineptitude or pouring petrol on a fire?
Possibly just that there was no one else left with any relevant experience. She's trying to surround herself with supporters. Steve Baker might just be the least bad option available to Truss.

Richard Frost

Post by Richard Frost » Thu Sep 08 2022 10:35am

8 September 1504

Michelangelo’s Statue of David is unveiled in the Piazza della Signoria in Florence. He had spent three years carving the figure from a five-metre block of marble.
Thanked by: macliam

macliam

Post by macliam » Thu Sep 08 2022 11:02am

Chadwick wrote:
Thu Sep 08 2022 10:22am
macliam wrote:
Thu Sep 08 2022 12:54am
Sheer lunacy, ineptitude or pouring petrol on a fire?
Possibly just that there was no one else left with any relevant experience. She's trying to surround herself with supporters. Steve Baker might just be the least bad option available to Truss.
Really, really hard to see how........ particularly given the Batman and Robin of ERG hardliners installed. It looks far more like a statement of contempt by Truss for the issues in NI, not ignorance but hostility.

macliam

Post by macliam » Thu Sep 08 2022 11:09am

Richard Frost wrote:
Thu Sep 08 2022 10:35am
8 September 1504

Michelangelo’s Statue of David is unveiled in the Piazza della Signoria in Florence. He had spent three years carving the figure from a five-metre block of marble.
I recall wandering around Florence during an unplanned visit in 1981, no guide book - coming face-to-foot with the statue and beeing gobsmacked by the sheer scale of it. Unfortunately, my main memory of that occasion was the arrival of vanloads of Carabinieri to physically assault a group of students (protestors?) sitting peaceably in the square.........

In the liturgical calendar, today is the feast day of St. Disbode, a 7th century Irish missionary, who, according to legend, founded the German wine industry when wine started pouring from his pilgrim’s staff. Good man yerself!
Thanked by: Richard Frost

Richard Frost

Post by Richard Frost » Fri Sep 09 2022 8:47am

9 September 2015

The Queen became Britain’s longest-reigning monarch, after 63 years and seven months on the throne. The previous record had been set by her great-great-grandmother, Queen Victoria
Thanked by: Sarah