Good luck to King Charles

Discussion about miscellaneous topics not covered by other forums
blythburgh

Good luck to King Charles

Post by blythburgh » Tue Feb 06 2024 11:07am

Our King is a right old rule breaker. Announces what he is going into hospital for and prompt lots more men to check the internet as they are having problems which they were ignoring.

Now he has said why he will be missing from private life for a while. Like Catherine he has chosen not to reveal all the details. But at least his admission that a cancer was found and his hopefully full recovery will give hope to other cancer sufferers.

But I am still confused as to why Prince William had to give up his public roles to care for his wife. No idea what operation she had but I know they have a Nanny who could drive the children around and generally look after them. Surely they have a cleaner and access to a chef so all housework would be taken care of.

Other women have surgery and have to get on with things. I had a hysterectomy (not saying that is what Catherine had) and was told not to lift for at 6 months and to take things easy. I lived alone but many women who have had one go home and have to get on with life and childcare. Any partner will be be trying to help when they are not at work.

A friend had a gall stone op in the days when it was not a keyhole one. She had this op delayed by pregnancy and had to cope with a 5 year old and a baby as well as doing what housework and cooking as she could. Husband did his best to help but he had taken his holiday leave to care for daughter when wife was in hospital giving birth and again when she went in for the gall stone op.

So why did William feel he could not do any work outside of the home?
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler

Richard Frost

Re: Good luck to King Charles

Post by Richard Frost » Tue Feb 06 2024 11:11am

blythburgh wrote:
Tue Feb 06 2024 11:07am
Not my business and I care even less. They all live a privileged life. This does not reflect the average person in any shape or form.
Thanked by: Sarah, blythburgh

macliam

Post by macliam » Tue Feb 06 2024 3:18pm

blythburgh wrote:
.........Announces what he is going into hospital for and prompt lots more men to check the internet as they are having problems which they were ignoring.

Now he has said why he will be missing from private life for a while. Like Catherine he has chosen not to reveal all the details. But at least his admission that a cancer was found and his hopefully full recovery will give hope to other cancer sufferers.
Not exactly Mr. Royalist here and as a cancer survivor, I wish him well, but let's be sensible - there are many, many forms of cancer and his was not described as being aggressive (or even malignant), has been caught early and is immediately being dealt with. It's hard to think of a better prospect.

There used to be an expression "How unlike the life of our own dear queen". It seems that only the gender has changed. The situation is rather different to my cousin's husband who had to pay £8.5k for his own prostate operation because, despite the pain, the NHS couldn't offer one to him inside 2 years. Then, in a recent bout of appendicitis, he could not be found a bed for recuperation so was sent home and, when he took a turn for the worse, had to be driven back to the hospital by his wife and sat for over 4 hours, in pain, whilst overstretched staff rushed around trying to deal with emergencies. A different world.....

In my own case..... always reminded of the phrase "if only they had come forward earlier", I attempted to contact my GP to ask for PSA and cancer blood tests, but gave up after 5 unanswered calls. I sent an email to a "hidden" address (available not on the surgery webste, but via the NHS) and received a message to call (!!!) - when i did, I was told the GP wanted to discuss my concerns and arranged a telephone consultation - three weeks in the future! Despite my age and being a cancer survivor, I have not actually "seen" my assigned GP for over 2 years. The NHS is broken, both at the primary and secondary levels and those in power don't care - because they can get all the treatment they want by going private.

We have gone back almost 80 years.
Thanked by: blythburgh
Just because I'm paranoid, it doesn't mean they're not out to get me

jaytee

Post by jaytee » Tue Feb 06 2024 7:39pm

blythburgh wrote:

Now he has said why he will be missing from private life for a while.
I Think King Charles will be missing from Public Life rather than Private Life for a while. He was seen travelling to Sandringham today with Camilla by he side, and also received a visit from his somewhat estranged son. This Private Life is clearly continuuing, unlike his Public duties

blythburgh wrote:

But I am still confused as to why Prince William had to give up his public roles to care for his wife. No idea what operation she had...
The Royal Society is a different beast to that experienced by King Charles and the Duke of Edinburgh as children - ushered off to boarding schools with little affection from their parents.

We don't know how serious Catherine's operation was. William is a very 'hands-on' parent, and is probably there for his children as much as his wife. He doesn't have a 9-5 job and his duties can take him away from home for days at a time, and sometimes even oversees.

Personally, I think is refreshing the way he genuinely cares for his family

Chadwick

Post by Chadwick » Tue Feb 06 2024 7:53pm

blythburgh wrote:
I am still confused as to why Prince William had to give up his public roles to care for his wife.
Because he could.

As you note, we don't all have that privilege, but if we did, would we not also use it?

blythburgh

Post by blythburgh » Wed Feb 07 2024 11:09am

Chadwick wrote:
Tue Feb 06 2024 7:53pm
blythburgh wrote:
I am still confused as to why Prince William had to give up his public roles to care for his wife.
Because he could.

As you note, we don't all have that privilege, but if we did, would we not also use it?
noblesse oblige. He cancelled visits, investitures he could do and come home the same day.
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler

blythburgh

Post by blythburgh » Wed Feb 07 2024 11:17am

Richard Frost wrote:
Tue Feb 06 2024 11:11am
blythburgh wrote:
Not my business and I care even less. They all live a privileged life. This does not reflect the average person in any shape or form.
You are right in that he could afford private hospital care and when the cancer was found he could start treatment.

NHS: you have reached the Consultant and your problem has been treated but whilst we were checking you over we found a cancer. The guidelines say we must start your treatment within 2 months. In too many places it is taking over 2 months before treatment starts. But the sooner treatment starts the better the outcome. How terrifying is it for those who have a cancer diagnosis and cannot afford to go private?

I wish King Charles well but could weep for all cancer sufferers who are awaiting treatment whether it is a probable cure or extra life before the cancer wins the battle.

A Labour Govt. or a Labour/something coalition is not going to solve the NHS problems quickly but at least they can start improving them.

Like Dental treatment, the Govt announced stuff yesterday that will improve the current dental crisis. But that is no better than moving the deckchairs on the Titanic according to the Dentists body. Guess who I choose to believe?

macliam

Post by macliam » Fri Feb 09 2024 9:32pm

As an "update" to all this..... a couple of "coincidences".

Firstly, with a week to go before my promised GP call, I have received notification of an upcoming cancer screening kit arriving. This "Poo test" is one of the great advantages of having a generalized Heath Service as it is how my own, entirely non-symptomatic cancer was discovered. Unfortunately it only runs biannually and within a fairly tight age-range, but it is a lifesaver. Luckily, the age-range covered is being extended slightly. :thumbup:

Secondly, I have been invited to take part in a survey linking genetics to medical outcomes. This will do a DNA test and clatter the results against my own medical records to feed into greater study. As part of this, I will receive information based on my DNA resultsand also on my medical records (hopefully at a greater level of detail that from my current NHS patient record). :geek:

Could it be that the squeaky wheel does indeed get the most oil? :lol:
Just because I'm paranoid, it doesn't mean they're not out to get me

blythburgh

Post by blythburgh » Sat Feb 10 2024 10:11am

Squeaky wheel and right attitude.

I once again had trouble with my hormones. Write to GP as they do not listen. "why do you think you have a hormone problem, you had PCOS." I said because when I had my 2nd op the consultant told me and gave me 6 months of treatment. (Yes I know, I should have had a follow up check but I did not because all those years ago my life was in such a state of flux it did not occur to me to ask for one.) Silence from GP and a look that kills

So I went to see new GP at group. Sent to general physician and by time I got seen symptoms had subsided.

Same time but different surgery. "Well, Dave, we have done all the tests and they are clear. The only thing left is an endocrinologist but I do not think you have a hormone problem". A few visits to see Consultant and several tests. (I had one blood test and an MRI and saw Doctor twice). Found nothing.

Dave died and we found he was taking none of the 10+ tablets he was prescribed, they were stored in his bungalow. Hence him not feeling well.

And recently I went to see GP at current practice. Start with a blood test and have another one later this month. This GP shocked to hear I had never seen an endocrinologist.

I did go about the problem every 3- 4 years but one blood test and dismissed.